Yanmar 6LP exhaust elbow

Discussion in 'Diesel Dudes' started by Charlie Harvich, Sep 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

BTW
    One gallon is enough to do One motor, One time. I use if full strength. It will desolve your zincs, so that is why you remove them, but it wont hurt the heat exchangers. The last time I took them ( heat exchangers) all off I cleaned the exterior of them down to bare metal, and sprayed them with an automotive epoxy aluminum primer, and had a automotive paint shop custom blend a matching Yanmar Metalic Grey epoxy paint, I AM DONE with the Yanmar rattle cans crap!

2. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

Like Tux says, the mixing elbow on my 2003 Yanmar has never shown any signs of corrosion or blockage and I've put over 2200 hours on mine. There's been a bit of discussion on whether Yanmar elbows are ss or not, all I can say is mine don't hold a magnet. And keeping the coolers cleaned is important, but one other thing that has caused symptoms like you describe is using after market impellers. It seems some of them are about 1/8" wider than the OEM Johnson impellers and will cause enough drag at speed it will actually slip on the shaft reducing flow. Inspecting the impeller doesn't show any sign of this so just a thought to get the right impeller to see if that's the problem.

3. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

The elbows are definitely Not S.S.

What they ARE is a Mystery!

But they are Not Magnetic, that is for SURE!

Aluminum? If so, not very pure, cause they get Rust "spots"

Pot Metal...

I honestly don't know....

But I have had mine off several times, and although a bit "sooty" never corroded or any blockage.

4. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

How was it determined they aren't SS?

5. Holty

Holty Well-Known Member

At about 1200 hrs I replaced my 6lpa elbow with what was sold as SS. I think I paid about $300 cash to my mechanic who is also a Yanmar parts dealer. Never took a magnet to it but it is still the shiniest thing below deck. Changed it out myself and was easy peasy.

regards Holty

6. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

I have enough experience with metals to tell that.
    But look at the aftermarket elbows that boast being made from S.S. Why would they do that if the factory unit was S.S. already?
    Read down on this site;

http://www.2040-parts.com/polished-...places-yanmar-lh-119773-13500-13501-i1907466/
    "I started making these stainless steel mixing elbows when my Yanmar iron elbow failed me."

7. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Yup, that's why I posted the site for 316 SS, Polished SS no less! It's a no brainer. If I ever have to replace my elbows that is the way I would go also.
    I have it written down, somewhere, what Yanmar's list price for elbows is...and why would I go that route when for 1/3 the price I can upgrade to polished 316 SS!
    I bet they are the Shiniest thing below deck on your boat!!! A thing of Beauty!

8. steve cate

steve cate Active Member

Justy my two cents- I had a temp problem and after extensive changing of impellers and cleaning the heat exchanges I found that it was a bad temp sensor. Used an IR gun to check the actual temp of the system and found it was fine and changed the sensor and all was well again.

9. Charlie Harvich

Charlie Harvich Member

Steve thanks for the reply. Since the engine is 18 yrs old my plan is to flush the coolers, and do the 1000 and1200 hr maintenance requirements prescribed by Yanmar. However I will keep your post in mind if my temp problem still exist, I have an infrared sensor. Charlie

10. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

x2