Winterizing double check

petertr3

Supporting Captain
Jul 11, 2017
I have a FWC Crusader 5.0 MPI. It has the flushing port in the cockpit. I assume the routine is to close the seacock, connect a short hose to the flushing port and stick the other end in a jug of antifreeze, then fire up the engine. Repeat with successive jugs until antifreeze flows out both exhausts.
It seems too easy, so I am suspicious.
Also, how many gallons should I need?
I'll check the antifreeze strength on the fresh water side, but otherwise leave it alone if it's good.

cw.abeljr

Jun 6, 2014
Pasadena, Md
I do it the same way you are describing with the flush connection. I stick the hose in a 5 gal bucket with 2 gal of anti freeze and 2 gal of water for a 50/50 mix and run her until I get a good flow of the mixture coming out the exhaust.

fourcs

Dec 8, 2009
Florida
I use RV antifreeze pink - 50 I have heat exchanger and the engine has auto anti freeze. so I have a 30 gal bait tank "plastic barrel " I run engine with water until temp is 160 and then I dump 5 gals in and just before it runs out I use fog oil to stall engine. RV antifreeze is safe to go out the exhaust and on the ground. you do not want auto coolant / antifreeze on the ground.

petertr3

Supporting Captain
Jul 11, 2017
I winterized yesterday. The flushing port worked fine with the hose connected, but would not suck antifreeze from the bucket. I still got it done by taking the lid off the Groco strainer and feeding it 2 gallons of the purple -60 stuff while idling.
Now I have all winter to figure out why it's not pulling from the port. Seacock was closed.
It is supposed to draw from the port, right?

petertr3

Supporting Captain
Jul 11, 2017
Or at the hose fitting, too, I would guess. It had no problem sucking down the AF from the strainer, though. A new O-ring on the strainer lid looks like a good idea as well.

Maraian

Dec 18, 2015
Annapolis, MD
I had the same problem, at first. On my boat, if on the trailer, I have to pinch off the hose going to the dripless shaft seal with vice grips and a rag.

petertr3

Supporting Captain
Jul 11, 2017
Good thought. It will probably turn out to be easier just using the strainer. I have a pvc male thread adapter and a length of pvc pipe that I thread into the lid opening. I use it for the diesel and the A/C on my sailboat (both have Groco raw water strainers.) I pour it full with the seacock closed, fire up the engine or the A/C and keep pouring in antifreeze until I see straight antifreeze out the exhaust. My son calls it the "antifreeze bong."
It's how Sabre winterizes A/C units at the factory without making a mess of the shiny new bilges.

Latest posts