Winterizing diaphragm pumps

Maraian

Dec 18, 2015
Annapolis, MD
Will a diaphragm pump clear all the water out of the lines. Or will it leave a bunch of water like standard bilge pump? Trying to figure out if I need to winterize my fish box drains and diaphragm pump?

redneck

Mar 2, 2009
Palm Bay FL
I run the pump with pink the stuff going thru it haven't had any problems yet. I try to drain as much water out as possible then poor pink stuff in any kind of drain rod holders etc.

Maraian

Dec 18, 2015
Annapolis, MD
Bump. Try this again 😎. Does any body not winterize the fishbox drains and diaphragm pump in northern states with success?
Seems like the pump should clear enough of the water out to prevent freeze damage. I have been winterizing them for 6 years now but always feels like overkill and I’m wasting my time, lol.

Fish Witch

Apr 1, 2008
Anchorage and Seward, Alaska
I haven't winterized a diaphragm pump in a long time, but knowing they work with two check valves, one on the outlet to allow suction, means it will hold water above the pump, which can freeze. Better to waste your time now than when you have to replace a split hose. Or you can disconnect the discharge hose to drain it.

Latest posts