winterization on fresh water cooled PCM 351

Finnegan

Jul 12, 2022
What is everyone's freshwater cooled PCM 5.8 winterization routine? This is my first year with the boat and would like to hear how you guys handle this on a shamrock.

My plan for winterizing while on land:

1. drain the raw water side as thoroughly as possible and then suck antifreeze through the system out of a bucket.

2. I'm going to rebuild my carb over the winter so that is going to be coming off in the fall. I was planning to run stable through both tanks.

3. Antifreeze in the fresh water system

4. replace fuel filters

5. fog engine through spark plug holes

Am I missing anything?

This boat is new to me so this winter I place to comb over all of the maintenance items that could effect reliability

Maintenance plan:

Replace all rubber cooling hoses
replace belts
New heat exchanger (no over heating but seeps water and is extremely corroded)
Manifold and riser inspection
rebuild distributor
rebuild carb,
replace plugs and wires,
new raw water pump impeller
oil change and filter
replace all zinks
repaint bottom

pilarboat

Apr 19, 2016
What is everyone's freshwater cooled PCM 5.8 winterization routine? This is my first year with the boat and would like to hear how you guys handle this on a shamrock.

My plan for winterizing while on land:

1. drain the raw water side as thoroughly as possible and then suck antifreeze through the system out of a bucket.

2. I'm going to rebuild my carb over the winter so that is going to be coming off in the fall. I was planning to run stable through both tanks.

3. Antifreeze in the fresh water system

4. replace fuel filters

5. fog engine through spark plug holes

Am I missing anything?

This boat is new to me so this winter I place to comb over all of the maintenance items that could effect reliability

Maintenance plan:

Replace all rubber cooling hoses
replace belts
New heat exchanger (no over heating but seeps water and is extremely corroded)
Manifold and riser inspection
rebuild distributor
rebuild carb,
replace plugs and wires,
new raw water pump impeller
oil change and filter
replace all zinks
repaint bottom
You commented on using "Stable." I did some research on products claiming to eliminate water from ethanol fuel and based on results I would not use the stuff. My hope is you are using ethanol free fuel. It's best to never put ethanol fuel in a boat in the first place. This after rebuilding a very expensive carb, then purchasing a new one because of water in the gas...that's about $1,200 for both. I finally got it through my thick skull that there is no magic and will never-ever put ethanol fuel in my boat(s).

Finnegan

Jul 12, 2022
You commented on using "Stable." I did some research on products claiming to eliminate water from ethanol fuel and based on results I would not use the stuff. My hope is you are using ethanol free fuel. It's best to never put ethanol fuel in a boat in the first place. This after rebuilding a very expensive carb, then purchasing a new one because of water in the gas...that's about $1,200 for both. I finally got it through my thick skull that there is no magic and will never-ever put ethanol fuel in my boat(s).

Wish I had that option… I keep the boat on a mourning and use the gas at the gas docks. The only option I have for ethanol free stuff is canned gas from the hardware store that’s about 20 bucks a gallon.

I will be rebuilding the carb over the winter and plan to make that a semi regular routine. The rebuild kits are around 80 bucks.

Latest posts