Winter Cover

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Downbucket, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Downbucket

Downbucket Member Supporting Captain

Hi:
    Looking for a winter cover for the Shamrock 220 Walkaround I should have next week. Hate shrink wrap. Expensive and wasteful. Anyone have a cover? Did you make or buy it? If you bought it, which vendor did you purchase it from? Did you need a frame? In your opinion, what is the best material to use for outside storage, here in Maine?
    Thanks.

2. Bestday

Bestday Active Member

I just had Fred make me a mooring cover for my 246 open. They make exactly what you are looking for- very good people that make quality covers
    www.FisherCanvas.com

3. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

What Bestday said. I just got my second cover from Fred. The first cover lasted 15+ years. Fred is a pleasure to deal with and all things considered, the prices are good.

4. Downbucket

Thanks Bestday and Quickstep. I just checked out his website and will likely place an order
    once I bring my boat up to Maine. One concern I have is the build up of snow. Is the cover
    angled enough to allow the snow to slide off? Although Fred's website indicated it's not needed,
    did you build a frame to support the cover?
    Thanks.

5. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

I get a lot of snow, the heavy wet stuff, so I built a frame for a tarp cover that's steep enough to shed the snow. Since I keep the boat at our summer house, it's important to keep an eye (webcam!) on it to be sure the snow isn't building up, which it sometimes does. We also have high winds to consider and the heaviest tarp you can get helps it make it through several seasons. I usually get 3 if I'm lucky. And since we're in a wet place, air circulation is important so I leave the ends open. My dream has been a boat barn but I've never gotten it together to make that move :(

6. Downbucket

Thanks Fish Witch. I've used tarps before and have always built a frame. I'm wondering if a frame is needed for the Fisher Canvas cover.

7. Bestday

Bestday Active Member

If you go to the website you will see that Fred sews pockets into the tarp that you will slip a 2 by 4- the cover is designed to take the snow load. My cover is a mooring cover to keep the rain out. I measured the boat as per Fred’s request. The workmanship is top quality. The price was very reasonable. I prefer the shrink route as we annually do a few boats at the same time and drink a few beers along the way!!

8. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

My cover also has pockets for 2x4s. Frankly, they’re a bit of a pain to put in, but they do help the cover shed the snow.

9. Downbucket

I ordered a cover from Fred yesterday. Nice guy. Thanks everyone.