Which boats were built with vinyl ester

sltyJake

Jul 23, 2019
Hello

I’ve read that the SpII hulls use vinyl ester instead of polyester. Does anyone know if the keeled boats of same years switched to vinyl ester? For example the later model 22 wa

TK246WA

Aug 18, 2020
South shore, MA
So, this is interesting. Has the statement that the hulls on the SPII models were built with vinylester been proven as true? If so which years? I ask because I’m about to do some glass work to create “bedding” for exhaust tips and was planning it out based on the assumption that everything under the water line is epoxy resin. BUT, if this is inaccurate then I may need to go with vinylester vs epoxy to ensure a proper bond or does vinyl and epoxy have similar chemical properties? I should note I know very little about fiberglassing…

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
I used vinyl ester on my '96 200wac to make and install new engine/transmission mounts. In my discussions with the techs at Express Composites, they explained that vinyl ester has much more bonding strength than poly, but a touch less than epoxy. Although I'm no expert, I have found a better gelcoat result over poly or vinyl than I got with gelcoat over epoxy.

TK246WA

Aug 18, 2020
South shore, MA
I think I’ve answered my own question, from what I have read epoxy adheres well to any cured resin. Again, not an expert here.

seatux

Aug 19, 2006
Port Charlotte Florida
I have found a better gelcoat result over poly or vinyl than I got with gelcoat over epoxy.
Isn't That the Truth!

And...altho epoxy will bond to both poly's , they ( poly's) are not happy trying to bond to epoxy. So if you're gonna use epoxy anywhere you had better make a good notation so as to not screw yourself, or the next owner of the boat, at a latter point in time.
Honestly...these aren't high performance race boat, subjected to insane stress, so why even entertain the idea of epoxy? I sure wouldn't.

Gary S

Feb 4, 2010
Algonquin Illinois,Key Largo Florida
Not saying polyester is bad but epoxy is easier to work with. And if your working in the attached garage or basement your better half won't be smelling fumes. Epoxy is also more resistant to water absorption. I hear that there is a conversion coat to adhere poly to epoxy. All gelcoat is polyester. Here is a good supplier of resins but like everything lately some are out of stock. http://www.uscomposites.com/

seatux

Aug 19, 2006
Port Charlotte Florida
Not saying polyester is bad but epoxy is easier to work with. And if your working in the attached garage or basement your better half won't be smelling fumes. Epoxy is also more resistant to water absorption. I hear that there is a conversion coat to adhere poly to epoxy. All gelcoat is polyester. Here is a good supplier of resins but like everything lately some are out of stock. http://www.uscomposites.com/
I'll keep that in mind, the next time I pull my 290WA into my basement to work on glass issues.

Latest posts