Where Are the Hunting Stories?

Fish Witch

Apr 1, 2008
Anchorage and Seward, Alaska
OK, it’s hunting season and no pictures from you guys, so I’ll start. I didn’t get out myself so have to brag on my son Travis. He and his buddy floated the Delta River up here and got a nice bull moose week before last. And access was from the water so definitely boat related, though not from my boat like we’ve done in the past for the mountain goats out of Seward.

We spent a couple of days at the range sighting in his rifle. It turned out to be a bit difficult due to a couple of factors. He had a mixed bunch of shells so we couldn’t get any consistency using different rounds and his scope mounting screws were loose. So after remounting the scope and getting a couple of boxes of identical shells, we were back at the range and got it sighted in, but not without a little pain

IMG_1239.JPG

His mom said “they make pads for that” after seeing this picture!

His buddy is pretty good at calling in the bulls - he lost a deck chair calling one in at his house when it got mad and trashed it, a really funny story! So he brought this guy out of the brush and close enough for a shot. And the result of the work at the range was a single shot at 200 yards through the lungs. It went about 20 feet and laid down.

IMG_1241.JPG

A little close at 52” rack but still legal. Now the work began and I must confess, these things are way too big for me to pack out anymore but my son was up to the task

IMG_1240.JPG

We had moose burgers the other night. My son and grandson ground up some bacon with the moose and it made for some good eating!

So where are your stories? It’s hunting season and we need to see what you’re doing now that boating season is coming to a close so post those stories please.

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
What is he shooting 30/30, 30/06 300 mag? And a muzzle brake made my 30/06 a lot easier to take. Old fat guys bruise easily. LOL

Fish Witch

Apr 1, 2008
What is he shooting 30/30, 30/06 300 mag? And a muzzle brake made my 30/06 a lot easier to take. Old fat guys bruise easily. LOL

Yeah, tell me about it, lol! My 300 Wby and a few rounds and I'm done. My son shoots a 30-06 and says he doesn't hold the stock tight to his shoulder which he says makes for a better shot but the punishment is really bad. I'm not going to make him change though since the last two animals he got with one shot, a Dall sheep and this moose, so he can shoot ok and one and done doesn't do too much damage out in the field. It may be time for a muzzle break though if his gun needs some more sighting in like this last time.

So come on folks! I'm sitting here looking at my boat under cover for the winter and need some hunting stories!

Bushmanj85

Nov 25, 2015
Gig Harbor, WA
I need to head up towards anchorage and Fairbanks this winter to do some moose hunting! apparently there is only 1 or 2 moose in all of Juneau. They rarely get down here cause of the glacier fields.

Fish Witch

Apr 1, 2008
I need to head up towards anchorage and Fairbanks this winter to do some moose hunting! apparently there is only 1 or 2 moose in all of Juneau. They rarely get down here cause of the glacier fields.

You need to get that transmission fixed. There's plenty of black tail deer and also Elk down on Etolin Island for you to go after with your boat. It's hard to beat that!

Latest posts