What’s this pump for?

Henry Wing

Sep 8, 2021
Just purchased this 1999 220 Open last fall and I’m now checking things out. Can any of you tell me what this pump is for and where it pumps to?

Attachments

• F3A45AC6-44DF-4E88-956E-EBC78E963B8D.jpeg
    F3A45AC6-44DF-4E88-956E-EBC78E963B8D.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 37

seatux

Aug 19, 2006
Port Charlotte Florida
BTW Henry..
That pump is also used for the raw water washdown. So it will keep the bait well full and supply pressure to a water hose on deck to wash down the fish blood...IF SO DESIRED.

seatux

Aug 19, 2006
Port Charlotte Florida
Mistress's comment sparked a memory..
Henry..that pump can be dangerous !
I was 30 miles off shore one day, I had a neighbor along cause I was going to be spearfishing.
Came up with a stringer full of fish and saw two streams of water pumping out of my boat. I got to the boat and up on it ASAP. Told the guy we had to get the fish box out NOW! Of cource it was full of ice and dead fish, so Very Heavy. Got it out and I look down and a fitting on that pump had broken and sea water was Pouring in! Luckly I had replace the stern bilge pump with TWO of the largest Johnson pumps made, and they were keeping up with it. Got it turned off and sat there with my heart pounding thru my chest!
Called it a day and headed home...on the way in I calmed down and said HELL, Were out here, lets get some more fish!
All is well that ends well!
After that day I installed high water alarms in the boat!

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
BTW Henry..
That pump is also used for the raw water washdown. So it will keep the bait well full and supply pressure to a water hose on deck to wash down the fish blood...IF SO DESIRED.
Not really a good washdown pump. Lack of pressure and no pressure switch. I don't think they like to be stalled.

Can be used to feed a proper washdown pump without adding a thruhull, though with single outlet, it's one or the other. My bait pump has an extra outlet port just for this purpose.

Last edited:

Latest posts