Under pressure

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by deputyrpa, Jul 22, 2020.

1. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I paid attention to the Shammy. We're heading to Long Island on Sunday, and I have to get it done or the Admiral will slit my throat! I have a lot to complete yet!

In the fall of 2018, the overheat condition which occurred years before had progressed to the point where I had to pull the engine out of precaution. The damage was minor and repairable, but I purchased a new long block anyway.
    [​IMG]

In doing do, I found the engine mounts to be rotted, so I built, glassed and gel coated new ones in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also repaired the transom. Consequently, the boat never hit the water in 2019 due to that work, my job and farming - and I have not yet built an enclosed garage to work in during winter months (30 x 50' getting built next month!).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued......

redneck likes this.
  2. deputyrpa

Now that I'm recently retired, I'm even busier at the farm! Yet I have to finish the install of the engine and entire exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    It's been so long that I've forgotten the small stuff, such as sensor locations and coolant routing. Those had to be changed from OEM, as the full FWC system I installed required repositioning of the computer. Now the new Barr risers have the coolant port closer to the manifold top port than the previous GLM risers, which creates obstructions for the hose attachments.
    [​IMG]
    I'm debating whether or not to change the flow from front to back or back to front, rather than the back to the top, which worked the best so far. Does anyone have their cooling system plumbed that way? Any thoughts? Thanks.

3. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

Previous engine's FWC system had water entering the exhaust manifold at the back, which is the low point and exiting the front (higher elevation). Seem to recall the slope of the exhaust manifold was such that air would eventually escape and the system's FWC side would go solid. Regardless, it was never an issue. It has been 15-ish years since removing the engine but pretty sure that is the way it was routed. Only have a 1/2 FWC system now.

4. deputyrpa

Thanks. I spoke to Barr yesterday and they confirmed that back low to front top flow direction. Using the front low to exit would not work.

5. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. You got all of this done in a week?!?

That's impressive!

6. deputyrpa

No Jerry....

I did the mounts and the transom last fall.

I'm not that impressive.....:(

7. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

BS!!! What you've done is impressive...

8. deputyrpa

You're very kind!

9. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Outstanding job on the new motor mounts.

deputyrpa likes this.
  10. deputyrpa

Thanks! I like perfecting the details of boat work, as opposed to the raw mechanical repairs for my farm equipment. I learned a lot from Andy of Boatworks Today.

It's certainly not the same as hanging a hay tedder from my excavator and using ox/acetylene and a sledge hammer to remove a rim.