Transom Garboard Drain Plug Replacement For a 26 HT

pilarboat

Apr 19, 2016
"...no wood...." I thought the sterns were cored with wood? Does that mean balsa core or solid glass?

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
Wood from water line up on stern. Glass below except backing points where added support was needed. There was a block on my 20 where the tubes were but I think they were there because the tubes were knurled closed and needed support.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Wood from water line up on stern. Glass below except backing points where added support was needed. There was a block on my 20 where the tubes were but I think they were there because the tubes were knurled closed and needed support.
Minor detail, the core starts several inches above waterline. Core is ply.

Kenny Torgeson

Supporting Captain
Oct 1, 2006
Pass Christian Miss
The first one I ordered came with the standard 1/2" square head because i was in a hurry ordering. Depending on where and how much clearance you have, you may want that but I wanted the tee handle because I installed my garboard drain in the bilge under the front step down. My point is pay attention to which one you want. The 1\2" works good on the stern drain from the outside. The standard flip handle smooth bore were 1" so you need your o.d. of the new garboard to be about 1/8" larger. Also make sure its bronze or stainless not brass.
View attachment 37189
This is the garboard drain I installed on my 26ft hardtop slightly behind the bilge pump in front of my engine easy to get to. I also ground a notch on the inboard side so it would drain more out of the bilge. the notch is covered when the plug is in

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
OP is talking about the transom. The one in the rudder box. Not threaded.

I still say stick a SS T-handle rubber plug in it from inside and call it good.

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
My knurled brass pipe fell apart when the expandable plug stuck and that is when I went the screwed garboard drain route. My tee handle was installed inside. BTW, normal pipe threads have a taper both male and female so the side you put the flange matters. The knurled pipe is smooth with a flange on one end and the knurl (with is a roll) on the other. The knurl is applied by a tool that acts like the rolling swedge on grommets.

Latest posts