Transom Garboard Drain Plug Replacement For a 26 HT

TK246WA

Aug 18, 2020
South shore, MA
Has anyone replaced the transom garboard drain plug on a 26 hardtop? Is so, what did you go with? Right now I have flip lock plug that I don’t feel comfortable with since I will be on a mooring.
Thanks

Last edited:

pilarboat

Apr 19, 2016
I could not agree more with replacing the flip lock; a disaster waiting to happen. Go to Amazon and type in threaded garboard drain plug...am sure they are sold at West marine. At Amazon they are $14.00 delivered the next day if you are prime. The threads are pipe threads, or better, known as tapered which means as you screw in it will tighten. It takes about 20 seconds more work to operate a threaded plug than one of those flip things.

You may find that the flip thing hole that remains when you remove the metal housing parts will not be the same as the screw plug housing. This will require some fiberglass work by someone skilled keeping in mind that the stern may be wood encased in glass.

Let us know if the hole for the screw plug housing is the same as what you have.

TK246WA

Aug 18, 2020
South shore, MA
Thanks to you both, I replaced a plastic one with bronze on my 246 but the 26 has a wider diameter hole. I’m wondering if I need to dig out the liner that’s there now for the flip lock or if I could install a new setup with that liner in place assuming it fits. I’m leaning towards a bronze or stainless drain with plug.

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
The first one I ordered came with the standard 1/2" square head because i was in a hurry ordering. Depending on where and how much clearance you have, you may want that but I wanted the tee handle because I installed my garboard drain in the bilge under the front step down. My point is pay attention to which one you want. The 1\2" works good on the stern drain from the outside. The standard flip handle smooth bore were 1" so you need your o.d. of the new garboard to be about 1/8" larger. Also make sure its bronze or stainless not brass.
1674505161557.png

Last edited:

TK246WA

Aug 18, 2020
South shore, MA
The first one I ordered came with the standard 1/2" square head because i was in a hurry ordering. Depending on where and how much clearance you have, you may want that but I wanted the tee handle because I installed my garboard drain in the bilge under the front step down. My point is pay attention to which one you want. The 1\2" works good on the stern drain from the outside. The standard flip handle smooth bore were 1" so you need your o.d. of the new garboard to be about 1/8" larger. Also make sure its bronze or stainless not brass.
View attachment 37189
Thanks!

pilarboat

Apr 19, 2016
I had a flip for (15 slipped) years. No issues. But did replace with a SS T-handle style.

I still run flips in the scuppers.

Threaded are usually from the outside where you won't have access.
I never gave a thought to threads on the outside...what if?...what if you launch get far away from ramp and realize you forgot the plug....I'm not sure I could reach it from the swim platform.

pilarboat

Apr 19, 2016
Thanks to you both, I replaced a plastic one with bronze on my 246 but the 26 has a wider diameter hole. I’m wondering if I need to dig out the liner that’s there now for the flip lock or if I could install a new setup with that liner in place assuming it fits. I’m leaning towards a bronze or stainless drain with plug.
My solution: seal the existing hole where you have an outer layer of glass and wood on the inside. Move a couple of inches laterally and drill a new hole. Then you have to "radius" out the wood then replace each of the outer layers with glass and a wood plug epoxied inside. You cannot just fill the hole with glass as it (the glass) just might cook on you. Get a pro.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
There's no wood.

Whole thing sounds like a bad idea to me. These boats have survived decades with a rubber plug.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
I never gave a thought to threads on the outside...what if?...what if you launch get far away from ramp and realize you forgot the plug....I'm not sure I could reach it from the swim platform.
Most boats, there's no good access from inside.

"Did you put the plug in" is about the most common phrase at the boat ramp. I don't think I've seen a trailer boat with a plug threaded from the inside.

Latest posts