transducer location

fishtheclassic

Oct 22, 2002
Apex, NC
scrapper
1. Transducer location?

OK, I hope to have a new sounder soon. My current unit is shot and never did work very well. It had a transom mount transducer. Should I put the new one on the transom? Does the prop wash have a huge effect on the transom mounted units? If I go with a through hull, where do I put it? My boat is a 20' open, so there is not much room. The boat lives on a trailer so I have to consider the trailer bunks causing damage when retrieving at the ramp. Thanks in advance for any help with all these questions.
Mike

Date: 11:26 on 12-30-2002

Hawkeye
premium member in standard member. 2. Re:Transducer location?

Scrapper - The transom location is really not suitable; to many air bubbles and water turbulance.
The place to put your ducer on a 20 open is to the right of the tansmission a few inches aft and to the left of the transmission mounting box on the stringer. Make sure there is nothing forward on the underside of the hull of that location which will create air bubbles/water turbulance.

If you want a water temp reading (which IMO is essential for locating temperature breaks), you have to go with a thru hull.

Hawkeye

Date: 11:40 on 12-30-2002

Leprechaun
premium member in standard member. 3. Re:Transducer location?

There's another way to get water temp, IF your unit can be used with a temp probe SEPARATE from the 'ducer. (Or you have a Dytek temp gauge on the dash).
We plumbed it into the RW pickup, between the strainer and the hose to the trans cooler, using various brass plumbing parts we bought from Home Dept. Worked like a charm for many seasons, till the little thermo sensor in the probe died. The manufacturer wants $100 for a new piece and since surface temp is basically meaningless for the type fishing I do, I've not replaced it, but it worked great when it did.

Remember - plumbed this way, its only accurate while water is drawn thru the basket, mean while the engine is running, but it saves drilling another hole in the hull, IF you have the separate temp probe.

How's THAT for some creative thinking?

rgds, Leprechaun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Off" Season? What's that?
Date: 12:44 on 12-30-2002

scrapper
4. Re:Re:Transducer location?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hawkeye (12-30-2002 11:40):
Scrapper - The transom location is really not suitable; to many air bubbles and water turbulance.
The place to put your ducer on a 20 open is to the right of the tansmission a few inches aft and to the left of the transmission mounting box on the stringer. Make sure there is nothing forward on the underside of the hull of that location which will create air bubbles/water turbulance.

If you want a water temp reading (which IMO is essential for locating temperature breaks), you have to go with a thru hull.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye, I do need the temperature feature for those temp breaks. I didn't know that they couldn't do temp with the transom mount, why is that?

The location you describe is precisely where my pick up is for the bait tank. And the other side is of course where the strainer is. Any other ideas?

Thanks Again,
Mike

Date: 18:36 on 12-30-2002

cornman
5. Re:Transducer location?

Mike,
One of the hardest things we all have to do is drill that 2" hole in the bottom of our boats. On a inboard there is just to much turbulance passing on to the back of the boat for a transom mount. I have a 20 open too and installed a Furuno thru-hull last year and it works flawlessly. Follow the directions above, I did and had no problem what so ever. I have a bunk trailer and it goes on with plenty of clearance.
later, Corn

Date: 20:04 on 12-30-2002

Damon
premium member in standard member. 6. Re:Transducer location?

Mike,
My bait tank pick up is also located on the starboard side of the the transmission (about 10" aft of the transmission), across from the strainer. When I talked with the guys at the boat yard about installing the thru hull transducer, they told me that it wouldn't be a problem installing it in front of the bait tank pick up using the "high speed" fairing block. Here's two thoughts I have:

1. Locate the transducer further forward of your bait tank pick-up by 10" or more if possible.

2. Move the bait tank pick-up futher back by about 1 foot or so (you'll need to drill a new hole for this) and drill a bigger hole in the old bait tank pick-up spot to fit the 2" thru hull tri-ducer (if that's what you want to go with). If you don't go with a tri-ducer, I think the thru-hull transducer has a 1" or 1 1/4" stem (like the high power 1 KW transducer).

I took my boat out last Friday to test the new FF and the bait tank did fine with the tri-ducer in front of the pick up at all speeds. Keep in mind that I have an unusually large water pick up for the bait tank (I took advantage of the 2" hole where a sea cock used to be and used an elbow and reducer for the bait pump). I'll email you a photo of it when I get home tonight.

A thru hull transducer will perform much better than a transom mounted transducer hands down, especially if you go with one of those "high speed" fairing blocks (make darn sure you install the anti-rotational bolt if you decide to go with a high-speed plastic fairing block). I went with a Tri-duce for my unit (Furuno), which gives me depth, water speed, and water temp. It exceeded my expectations.

Before drilling that dreaded hole in your boat (unfortunately, mine came with these 2" holes already drilled out), look into it further to be sure. You can always re-locate/modify your trailer bumpers/bunkers (what ever they're called) to avoid damaging the transducer.

Zing, Zing, Zing.....Hook-up!
Date: 20:42 on 12-30-2002

Hawkeye
premium member in standard member. 7. Re:Transducer location?

Scrapper - My live bait tank pickup is on the right side as well; I just mounted the 'ducer forward and to one side of the pickup.
I moved the 'ducer to the side to keep from creating air pockets in my bait pickup.

You just have to choose the best spot to not subject the 'ducer to air bubbles nor create air bubbles for something else.

Now, my bait tank pump is not self-priming; if your pump is self priming you don't have to worry about the occasional gulp of air.

Hawkeye

Date: 22:13 on 12-30-2002

scrapper
8. Re:Re:Transducer location?

Hawkeye (12-30-2002 22:13):
Scrapper - My live bait tank pickup is on the right side as well; I just mounted the 'ducer forward and to one side of the pickup.
I moved the 'ducer to the side to keep from creating air pockets in my bait pickup.

You just have to choose the best spot to not subject the 'ducer to air bubbles nor create air bubbles for something else.

Now, my bait tank pump is not self-priming; if your pump is self priming you don't have to worry about the occasional gulp of air.

Hawkeye

Currently my bait pump works well until I use reverse. Then I have to turn it off and back on again. I think I will probably relocate the bait tank pick up further back and put the tri-ducer where Hawkeye suggested. Is there a minimum distance that I should maintain from the keel? I have about 20" between the keel and the trailer bunk. I think I'll just split the difference.

I'm NOT looking forward to drilling that hole!

Mike

Date: 09:22 on 12-31-2002

cornman
9. Re:Transducer location?

Mike,
You probably won't get close to 20" of the keel becouse you will be up against the side of the stringer. Plus on mine the exhaust was there too. I don't think I even got a foot away from the keel. Drill a 1/8" pilot hole first and go from there. It helps to have someone there to help, and for support like a friend. Preferably someone who's done one before.
later, Corn

Date: 20:14 on 12-31-2002

jimbo
10. Re:Transducer location?

I put mine on the transom this summer, have no problem reading up to about 13mph. If you do go through the hull make sure you have the through transducer, I did'nt which is why it's on the transom
Date: 11:08 on 01-01-2003

Damon
premium member in standard member. 11. Re:Transducer location?

I would think that locating the bait tank pick up closer to the keel would be better anyway to ensure that the bait pump is installed below the water line level (if required). The transducer would be outside of the bait tank pick up (further away from the keel) up forward.
Let me know if you need a set of hands (I do owe you the favor for helping me with the awesome gaffs). I also owe you a few bottles of "Yellowtail" brew!

Damon.

Date: 12:09 on 01-01-2003

Rodge
normal member in standard member. 12. Re:Transducer location?

Another point of view....
I have a '95 20 WAC, but I think the hull is the same as yours.

My FF is a Sitex CV-106 and my TD is a transom mount. It's mounted on the port side about 1 inch inboard of the trim tab and hangs about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the hull. It gives me good readings about 95% of the time. The only time it loses bottom is if I trim the bow way down at high speed and then make a sharp turn or bounce off a wave. That introduces some air under the hull (I guess) and gets the cavitation going.

I like the fact that all of the functions are available (temp/speed/depth) with no holes in the boat. If I ever get a different finder I don't have to worry about it using the same diameter hole for it's TD.

Anyhow, the jest of the matter is that a transom mount will work if you pick your spot well.

Rodge

Latest posts