Trailer Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Peter Kast, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Peter Kast

Peter Kast New Member

Good Evening,
    I'm thinking of purchasing a shamrock 1991 200SE. There is no trailer included in the sale. My question is what size trailer? Tandem or single axle? and will any trailer work or do I need a specific type due to the keel/direct drive? Thank you for any insight. I would also appreciate any opinions on this vessel for a family of four with 2 children (10 and 7) fishing/cruising in ecstuary, river, bay. It seems like a good choice... stable but does have a lack of speed compared to OB. Thank you in advance. Respectfully- Pete

2. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member

Look for a dual axle bunk trailer with brakes. I prefer aluminum for weight, and have a Rolls Axle trailer with torsion suspension, which tows like a dream. Look at my Signature line.

My 200 will go 30mph easily, but she will dance like a hippo when it I push it faster and she rides up on the keel. I got a Sharmrock for its seaworthiness for a long haul towable vessel, and it's stability and roominess as a fishing platform.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 7:56 AM
  3. fishineer

fishineer Well-Known Member

I agree with deputyrpa's recommendations but have used bunks on the trailer for the 20 footer and the rollers came with the trailer for the 22 footer. I would definitely go with the bunks again on the 20 footer. As for the larger and heavier 22 footer I could go either way, but might try the bunks. The bunks last longer and the rollers have many more components to repair (32 rollers). Definitely recommend twin torsion axles and aluminum frame.