Shifter Cable and Handle Question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KC_Jones, Nov 1, 2021.

1. KC_Jones

KC_Jones Member

So, this just happened yesterday and I haven't really looked into it, but I have questions before I look.

My shifter cable broke, at the ramp, luckily after my son was on the dock with 2 ropes, unluckily it broke while shifting out of reverse so it was stuck in reverse. I happily thought to turn the engine off quickly before it got ugly for my 11 year old son.

Anyway since I have to at least replace the cable, I figured I'd educate myself a bit more, and see if I do only replace the cable, or possibly the shifter too. So I have questions for the forum.

The boat is a 1989 22' Stalker. The console is the one with the separate controls (shifter and throttle) on either side of the console, the section they are mounted to actually hinges back with the steering and switch panel. Shifter is on left of steering wheel, throttle on right.

1. Does anyone have a brand recommendation on the cable? I like to buy the best equipment for the boat, so for the most part money isn't the primary concern, and wife agrees.
    2. Is the shifter supposed to have a neutral detent to know when you have hit neutral? Mine currently does not do this, and it has struck me odd since I bought it. I'm wondering if it never had it, or if it's just worn out?!
    3. If it is supposed to have a detent, or there is one made, does anyone have an idea where to start looking for a replacement? I like the separate controls and do not want to change unless that is literally the last thing in existence.

If I missed any details let me know.

2. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

The cable is probably a Morse or similar cable. The length and ends are variable. Match as needed. The detent should be there but adjustment and time/rust may have obscured it. Another option is a single handle control but it still uses 2 cables. Jamestown distributors, Hamilton Marine and many others. Look for Morse controls but knock offs are a lot cheaper and in many cases identical.

3. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

I broke my shifter cable a few years back. Shifted at the trans to get back to the harbor and had TowBoat ready to engage me once back in the harbor.

I replaced with the upgraded (XTREME?) cable. Did the throttle cable at the same time as it was pretty sticky and you had to "bump" it to get a small adjustment.

Oh my! What a difference. I highly recommend the high grade cable. Slicker than goose poop.

Ends on our are pretty basic. Might have to re-use a piece or 2.

I think Morse is now SeaStar.

If mine ever had a detent, it sure isn't there now. With the smooth cable movement I don't find it lacking.

There is a neutral switch on the trans so you can't start in gear.

I didn't realize 22's had 2 single controls like my Mack.

4. KC_Jones

KC_Jones Member

I attached a couple pictures of what it looks like. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this was a 1 or 2 year set up only.

My desire for some kind of detent (if at all possible) is because the way it’s set up the neutral position is far from obvious. My son (11) goes out with me and I’m teaching him how to run the boat and he has difficulty with finding neutral. I also am not a fan, first boat I’ve ever operated that didn’t have some kind of neutral detent, the oldest of those being from 1967.

If I can’t do it I can’t do it, not a big deal. I’m just exploring possibilities since I’ll be working on it.

I appreciate the first hand experience with the cable, that’s exactly the feedback I was lookin for. Thank you for the comments!!

On a side note why oh why did Morse use chrome plated pot metal on a boat?! That is also influencing my desire to change the handles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  5. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

The OLD Morse controls were chrome plated brass. They went to pot... Literally. As for the detent, make your own out of starboard.

6. Mistress

7. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

8. Mistress

Ya...a lot for chromed potmetal. Seems like a handle could be fashioned.

YW. I thought the line sheet was useful. With a P/N one can search for a value. Saw an expired ad on Fleabay for like $70. Another place that sells used parts.

Way down my list.

9. KC_Jones

KC_Jones Member

Excellent information everyone! I appreciate the replies, I think I have some things to consider and weight my options. This will be a spring project as I'm going to winterize the boat this weekend. Going to spend the winter getting my ducks in a row and buying parts for the spring. This isn’t the only thing on the list.

10. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member