Shamrock fish box

reelcranke

Apr 9, 2016
I recently purchased a 2006 Shamrock 246 walk around. Could someone please tell me what the fish box is for other than the obvious. I noticed it has a drain plug at the bottom, so is it meant to be filled with ice? Does anyone know the drain plug size at the bottom of the fish box. One other question, does the bait well continuously run?

I realize they are pretty dumb questions, but I am having a hard time figuring out why the bait continuously run, and then the waste of space with the fish box.

I absolutely love the boat, but coming from a Ranger 621VS. The Shamrock scares the hell out of me operating it...:calm:

Last edited:

Shamrock Steve

Jan 31, 2014
Reelcranke:

I always left the drain open (unplugged) on the fish box and for a full day of fishing started with about 350-400lbs of ice. Another tip is to buy a few blocks of dry ice and place it in the bottom and then pack the ice on top of it - if you do this you can get by with less ice. We were fishing in Florida and temperatures were frequently in the low to mid 90's - add a few kids to mix and with them getting sandwiches and drinks out - the top was opened and closed a lot. Most bait pumps run continuously - some have cycle functions where the duration of the on-off cycles can be programmed. I bought a stand alone bait tank, mounted it on the swim platform and plumbed it through the bait pump on my 246 Open.

You will get used to operating the Shamrock. The single screws are a little squirrely at slow speeds, but you will get to where you can turn it around in the diameter of it's own length. It just takes time and it helps if there is not a crowd around while you are getting the hang of it.

Good Luck!

Steve

reelcranke

Apr 9, 2016
Steve, I have another question if you don't mind. Is the toilet seacock to the left of the main engine seacock? I know there are two cut off valves beside each other when I open the engine compartment and look straight down at the front of the engine. With the toilet seacock open, does it suck fresh water in for toilet water?

I would appreciate if you could give detailed instructions on the toilet operation. How do you make it go overboard or how to dump the tank.

Eddie

Shamrock Steve

Jan 31, 2014
Eddie:

I don't know how your boat is plumbed. My 246 Open had the porta potty set-up. Based on my experience with an old Trojan yacht I owned - I would trace the plumbing to understand how the valves function. There should be a raw water supply coming into the toilet (electric pump) and the toilet should empty into a waste storage tank. There should be another valve and pump on the waste tank to pump out. The valve for pump out should have provisions for a locking mechanism which stays locked until your (I think) out past at least two miles where it is legal to pump out. Once out, you open the valve and turn on the waste tank pump.

Steve

WickedGoodOUtdoors

Jun 9, 2010
Maine
The Port and Starboard Fish Boxes About 6 feet long and 3 feet wide inside, on my Shamrock 246 work well but they both connected to one macerator pump located in the stern under the live well by hoses. I want to install 2 new macerater pumps into each fish box and also install a small 1/4 inch raw water inlet to keep new water comming in. maybe a ball valve on it to regulate flow if I have the boxes full of crushed ice. that way I can keep fish alive all the way home. If I can find any Brewery Sponsors that want to donate their time and products we could install a could kegs of beer and 12 VDC refrigeration systems. in the fish boxes and a tap. IPA preferred! Capt Walt [email protected] 076.JPG

WickedGoodOUtdoors

Jun 9, 2010
Maine
I also have that Bow Box that your referring to. Dont think I would put fish in there as it drains into the bilge and would create a biological Toxic Nightmare.
025.JPG

Latest posts