sealing split crack in transom

fishtheclassic

Oct 22, 2002
Apex, NC
AGAPEMOU
1. Sealing the split crack in the transom

I am going to have my boat name placed in vinyl on the transom of my 88' Stalker but as we all know there is that small crack back there where the two boat halves were put together. I want to seal it before the vinyl name goes on. I could use marine text but that is so bright white. Can/should I use gel coat and if so is there an off the shelf color I can use which will be a closer match than Marine Tex white? Thanks.
Date: 21:06 on 01-09-2003

Hawkeye
premium member in standard member. 2. Re:Sealing the split crack in the transom

AG - Just forget about it. I mean who the heck is going to see that crack at 10 meters anyway!!! I can guarantee you there ain't a soul on this board or any other that has that kind of eyesight - stick the name on the transom and be happy if any of these old farts can even read the name - much less see your crack attack!!!!
Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Date: 22:12 on 01-09-2003

SCREAMINEAGLE
premium member in standard member. 3. Re:Sealing the split crack in the transom

Hawk too funny lolololol
Date: 00:01 on 01-10-2003

Clover Rover
4. Re:Sealing the split crack in the transom

What ever you do, don't use Marine Tex, that stuff is too hard to sand smooth. I'm in the process of prepping my 26' for a paint job so I ground the crack out and put a layer of cloth and epoxy over it. I was afraid that if I just filled the crack in, that it would just show up again do to flexing. It won't even surprise me if mine ends up coming back.
Date: 11:24 on 01-10-2003

Leprechaun
premium member in standard member. 5. Re:Sealing the split crack in the transom

Don't use MarineTex - it turns yellowish over time and will look even worse.
That's if it doesn't just fall out of the crack as it widens and narrows with the change of seasons.

I'm sorry to report that no matter what repair or prophylatic method you choose (How's THAT for a $5 word?), no matter what you do, that crack will return, and pretty quickly too.

rgds, Leprechaun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Off" Season? What's that?
Date: 22:49 on 01-10-2003

agent 86
6. Re:Re:Sealing the split crack in the transom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leprechaun (01-10-2003 22:49):
Don't use MarineTex - it turns yellowish over time and will look even worse.
That's if it doesn't just fall out of the crack as it widens and narrows with the change of seasons.

I'm sorry to report that no matter what repair or prophylatic method you choose (How's THAT for a $5 word?), no matter what you do, that crack will return, and pretty quickly too.

rgds, Leprechaun

The crack always shows up. especially the plumber!

Date: 23:58 on 01-10-2003

AGAPEMOU
7. Re:Sealing the split crack in the transom

Ok then, I guess I will adapt Hawkeye's approach and just letter over it and learn to live with the plumber butt look.

Latest posts