Reseal Mack Windows

The Mitten

Jan 27, 2021
Grand Ledge/ Ludington MI
Hi guys,

I was out in some rough water recently and discovered my windows leak. I know this is an inherent issue with the Mack. What is the correct way to fix it?

Are the frames leaking against the boat, or is it the glass seal to the aluminum? I thought I could easily pull the windows and seal the frames to the boat but wasn't sure about the glass to the frame.

Any and all help is very much appreciated. I love this boat!

Kurt

crhodes

Supporting Captain
Aug 26, 2003
Southport, NC
On my 1990 Mack my frame-to-glass seal leaked. Caulk around the window frames fixes it. I use tape to prevent making a mess with the caulk.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Tagged.

Mine leak on most return trips in my Mack submarine. I haven't gotten around to determining wear the leak(s) is. Tries to drown my Furuno Fish TV.

crhodes

Supporting Captain
Aug 26, 2003
Southport, NC
On my 1990 Mack my frame-to-glass seal leaked. Caulk around the window frames fixes it. I use tape to prevent making a mess with the caulk.
My mistake, thought you meant frame-to-fiberglass vs frame-to-glass. Some times I think and sometime I don't!

That said recall some older posts that offered a readily available replacement. Can't look now but if I find it later will post.

The Mitten

Jan 27, 2021
Grand Ledge/ Ludington MI
Got the starboard window out. Looks like 5200 was used to seat the frame to the boat/fiberglass. Took a small amount of gel with it upon it finally releasing. Used a sharp drywall putty knife that is flexible and pretty sharp. Worked the edge carefully. What would you guys use to rebed the frame to the boat? Lifecaulk or 4200? I am going to order gaskets this week.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Got the starboard window out. Looks like 5200 was used to seat the frame to the boat/fiberglass. Took a small amount of gel with it upon it finally releasing. Used a sharp drywall putty knife that is flexible and pretty sharp. Worked the edge carefully. What would you guys use to rebed the frame to the boat? Lifecaulk or 4200? I am going to order gaskets this week.
Would be appreciated if you document your steps.

Latest posts