Replacing my batteries on my mackinaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by ftu209, Jun 29, 2020.

1. ftu209

ftu209 Well-Known Member

I have to replace my batteries on my mack currently have a group 27 and a group 24 seahawk brand. Thinking about using interstate 27M-hdx. I do run some electronics and refrigerator off batteries when boat is shut down while fishing and wonder if its ok to use just cranking batteries. I never had a problem using cranking batteries until recently. Advice would be appreciated.

2. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

If you use 1 crank and 1 deep, if the crank runs dead you might not have enough amps to start the engine with the deep cycle.

You might consider the Optima Blue Tops. I'm no expert but I believe you get the best of both worlds. With just a 2 battery system, they might be your best bet.

3. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member

Optima used to be the shiznit for dual purpose (albeit they were amp*hour challenged). Had pair of yellows go 8 years. Word is quality went downhill.

I recently put a couple X2-power group 31's in my Mack at $400 each. Takes a lot of current to fire the Cummins. High cranking amps and respectable amp*hours.

ftu209 likes this.
  4. Throwback

Throwback Member

I have two Sea Hawk batteries in my Carver.I run the fridge and stereo most of the time on one when we are out overnight It will start my engines the next morning with no problem.Group 31's

ftu209 likes this.