Prop shaft problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by Stacey, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Stacey

Stacey Member

So to be clear the coupler didn't come off, still very firmly attached to the transmission and was hoping not to mess with it further.. the shaft came out of the coupler.. sounds like I will need to remove the coupler though maybe get a new one, I didn't realize the fit was so precise.. there is some minor damage to the shaft as mentioned i had to sand off a <1/4" patch/burr where it deformed when it came out, will I need a new shaft too? Was really hoping to fix in place but sounds like we need to bring it in this is becoming a lot for newbie boat owners..

2. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

And thats why I asked where you are at. General Propeller in Bradenton Fl would be a place to start. They most likely even supplied the original shaft and coupling. You have serious problems that must be found when a shaft comes out of a coupler.

Stacey likes this.
  3. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

What Gary said with a caveat. The bolt and nut says a p.o. did something with the shaft and coupling. He may be the weak link. He may not have reinstalled the shaft correctly. Btw anytime you work on the shaft, you will need to uncouple from the tranny. The output bearing of the tranny needs to be protected whenever you can. They take quite a lot of wear and banging, prying and anything else can cause it's failure. Then you have a tranny repair in addition to what ever else you are dealing with.

fisherlady2 likes this.
  4. Ship

Brass is what most prop keys and nuts are but other options are available too.

5. Stacey

Stacey Member

I'm on the other side of FL (cape) but that's drivable if we had a good working trailer.. another rant for another day unless you know someone down here that will make us one.. fixing this one would be basically a rebuild and I'm not even sure it's sized right anyways (I know the sham *can* hang off the back quite a bit, doesn't mean it *should*..)

6. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

No. I mean removing the coupler from the shaft.

Removing the coupler from the trans is easy-peasy 4 bolts whether they turn or break.

Stacey likes this.
  7. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

I disagr
    I disagree.

8. Stacey

Stacey Member

Aahh copy. Damn.

9. Stacey

Stacey Member

Soooooo since the apparent hard part is done for us (separating shaft and coupler), how do I pull the shaft out? Need to remove rudder? Prop? Seals?

10. Ship