Power cutting at 2000+ rpm

redneck

Mar 2, 2009
Palm Bay FL
i think you need an adapter for the fuel pressure gauge on the TBI setups. I think the spec is 35psi +- a couple of psi. After you check the base timing make sure the timing advances when you rev the engine. Is the coolant temp sensor ( for the computer two wire unit) reading correctly you can get the temp vs resistance reads off of the web.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
i think you need an adapter for the fuel pressure gauge on the TBI setups. I think the spec is 35psi +- a couple of psi. After you check the base timing make sure the timing advances when you rev the engine. Is the coolant temp sensor ( for the computer two wire unit) reading correctly you can get the temp vs resistance reads off of the web.
I'll check to see if it's advancing as well. Ordered an adapter to get the pressure too.
I will check the temp sensor as well, but I disconnected it for a quick run to see if it was triggering the problem, and it changed nothing. From my understanding it completes the circuit when there's an issue, so disconnecting it would prevent that. This is how I checked the oil pressure and trans temp sensors for the computer as well.

redneck

Mar 2, 2009
Palm Bay FL
The coolant temp sensor is what the computer uses to read engine temp it’s separate from your temp gauge.

computer sensors used calculate fuel delivery and ignition timing and are separate from your engine gauges:
coolant temp sensor( CTS)
Throttle position sensor (TPS)
Manifold pressure sensor ( MAP sensor)
Ignition module ( inside the distributor )

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
The coolant temp sensor is what the computer uses to read engine temp it’s separate from your temp gauge.

computer sensors used calculate fuel delivery and ignition timing and are separate from your engine gauges:
coolant temp sensor( CTS)
Throttle position sensor (TPS)
Manifold pressure sensor ( MAP sensor)
Ignition module ( inside the distributor )
Yes I understand, thank you. The only ones I haven't checked are the MAP sensor and ignition module. Have to figure those out.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Checked the timing today, looks about right! Another thing knocked out off of my differential I guess. Now it's really starting to seem like a fuel issue. I have high hopes for changing out this fuel pump. Hopefully it comes tomorrow

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Fuel pump came today! Carter P5001. Installed it and plugged the open fitting that resulted due to it not having a return line. Know this had worked for others in the past without issue.

Sure enough ran out right up onto plane!! What a feeling after all this work. So I definitely did something right lol.

Unfortunately it did stutter at about 15 seconds on plane, dropped back near idle, punched it again after a few seconds and it did it again in about the same time.

I think and I'm hoping this was the result of only having maybe 5 gallons of gas in it. Seems like just rising up on plane was causing it to lose pressure from the tank being low, and it would run hard with the fuel it had left in the lines.

Tomorrow morning I'll test the theory and fill it up with like 15-20 gallons and head out again.

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
Fuel pump came today! Carter P5001. Installed it and plugged the open fitting that resulted due to it not having a return line. Know this had worked for others in the past without issue.

Sure enough ran out right up onto plane!! What a feeling after all this work. So I definitely did something right lol.

Unfortunately it did stutter at about 15 seconds on plane, dropped back near idle, punched it again after a few seconds and it did it again in about the same time.

I think and I'm hoping this was the result of only having maybe 5 gallons of gas in it. Seems like just rising up on plane was causing it to lose pressure from the tank being low, and it would run hard with the fuel it had left in the lines.

Tomorrow morning I'll test the theory and fill it up with like 15-20 gallons and head out again.
AHA! SCIENCE! Fuel!

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
SUCCESS!

Sure enough the hitch yesterday was the result of not enough fuel in the tanks. Good to know- I can't run the tanks too low on plane I guess.

Can't thank all you kind people enough for your help.

Not sure why the fuel pump I had was no good. If I have time I may dig into it and see if it failed or was just a dud.

Latest posts