Power cutting at 2000+ rpm

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Don't know a thing about the FI engines.

But.......how do they advance timing? What sensors are involved? Cam, crank, etc.

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
Tip - I use my timing light to look at injector spray. It shows up well for my older eyes. You can see droplets vs spray.

Did you check your timing in service mode?

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
I was able to read the code according to the instructions above. That being said, all I got was the code for "self diagnostic system running properly".

Not sure what this tells me, if anything at all. Could this mean I can rule out any sensor issues?

Ultimately I'm even more confused now than previously.
Yes, if you have no other codes.

Air, spark, fuel are the key ingredients to a good running engine. My mind keeps going back to fuel. Just because a fuel pump is new doesn't guarantee it's working properly. Quality control has gone to shit. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge or another fuel pump??

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
I do have the older fuel pump, so I could try to put that one back in I suppose and see what happens. Could also get a fuel pressure gauge, might be easier.

I did not check the timing, wasn't quite sure how to do that, can do that too next week.

Hopefully between TPS, fuel pressure, and timing I'll find an answer.

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
Hmmmm. I'd think a TPS fault would throw a code. Eliminate fuel pressure before you chase electronics.

Remember, timing has to be done in service mode. Locate and mark (with white chalk or white-out) the indicator and the 10 degree BTDC mark.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Hmmmm. I'd think a TPS fault would throw a code. Eliminate fuel pressure before you chase electronics.

Remember, timing has to be done in service mode. Locate and mark (with white chalk or white-out) the indicator and the 10 degree BTDC mark.
Can you explain how exactly to do the timing in the service mode? This electronic stuff is really throwing me off. It's definitely worth a look to check the timing as well but I was afraid to mess with it at the same time since I never touched it.

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
When you insert the paper clip loop into A & B as I explained, that puts it into service mode. Then start it (on a hose, ha), set the revs to ~1000k and set the base timing with a timing light by adjusting the distributor, if it needs adjustment.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Well I replaced the TPS sensor, and at Indmar's suggestion also disconnected the transmission temperature safety switch. Unfortunately it's still just completely cutting back at 1200 rpm still. I don't get it. Got a fuel pressure checker but can't find a way to hook it up, guess I'll have to order an adapter.

It's just so odd because it's running SO smooth at idle.

I have confirmed that both fuel pumps are flowing, however, I can't tell how much pressure should be coming from after the second "high pressure pump". I can definitely see it flowing out, but until I can find a way to get a reading on it's pressure I guess I won't know if it's the issue. It can't be the first pump, it's flowing at much too high of a rate to be causing an issue.

Last edited:

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
I will check the timing today as well, but I really think it's going to end up being the fault of that newer high pressure pump. It really seems like it's just running out of gas. I've read some stories of similar issues after replacing that pump with one that maybe wasn't a perfect match.

I've heard people have success with the Carter P5001, so I ordered one. At $90, it's worth a shot, if it's no good can return I guess. Also have an adapter coming to check the fuel pressure. Should get it all on Saturday.

Latest posts