Photoshoot! 26 and 270

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Captain Starbucks, Sep 20, 2021.

1. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

I Like the recessed trim tabs on the tunnel drive, it’s more clearly seen on the added photo. That was the set up on our Blackwatch. It gives a clean stern. Nothing to catch fishing lines on and nothing hanging out to be damaged around docks.

2. joel@vomhoko.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I thought there is a newer 26' Express that's a tunnel drive too.

Anyway, Mistress, I concur with keeping your options open and bring her up here so you can play around on the water while you figure out your next move. Lots of places to explore and things to do.... I have to admit, however, that after a fantastic week-long boat camping trip up to Sucia Is. I'm suffering a bit more than just twofootitis..... I absolutely love my 26 for fishing/diving daytrips, but for anything overnight.multi-day trips it's a veritable, constant storage/gear shell game.

Rob's 27 Mack is much faster and more accomodating in that regard, with more storage and family friendly accoutrements, seems quieter and more comfortable, more water tight. Whereas my 26 is a boisterous battlewagon that is much better for fishing, IMHO: seems to fish a larger cockpit; more fish storage; stronger connection between cabin and cockpit; and I like the lower gunnel height too when fishing and diving; and finally better fuel economy.
    Those are they key difference from my perspective. Fun to see them side-by-side Rob! Good thinking!!! Thanks!

3. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

The 26 Express is a bit wider with the stepped helm. TMK it's still a keel though.

I'll be 2 hours from 2 ports (Ilwaco and Gray's Harbor). Further than I really wanted, but hoping that being retired it won't feel so far.

4. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

20210925_173152.jpg 20210925_173138.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Howsounder

Howsounder Well-Known Member

I am planning a modification for my 27 Mac and sure could use some measurements (mine is in the water, no trailer) I will be adding a set of non adjustable SS trim tabs that go from each side, to the beginning of the tunnel. Next time you are out there could you take that dimension?

thanks steve

6. Captain Starbucks

Howsounder, you want dimensions from the inboard side of each trim tab to the edge of where the tunnel starts?

7. Howsounder

Thanks for getting back to me C.S. I am looking for the dimension from the very outside of the stern/bottom, to the point where the tunnel starts. I know it’s not exactly a straight line on the boat, as the outer 4”? of each side of the boat bottom flattens out, but that basic dimension will work. Be great if you could run a square along the bottom/transom, and let me know if it’s 90 degrees too.

I want to make a non adjustable trim-tab along the entire width of the boat, less the tunnel, so two pieces. This means going across the existing tabs, and so I am also curious if they are proud of the transom? I recall not, but would notch the new tab to fit if they are proud of the transom. I have removed so much weight from the back of the boat that I don’t use the tabs anymore. They do bring the bow down at lower planing speeds, but slow the boat down too. (Cockpit live well and it’s pump gone, genny, 140 lbs of kicker, bracket, and controls gone, cockpit cushions gone. Rear part of the P.O. tarp system gone, so 450 lbs or so lighter?

I am looking to trick the boat into acting like it’s a foot or so longer than it is, and move the planing centre of weight to waterline length forward. All this to create a lower efficient planing cruise speed, and lower the bow earlier too. At present I need minimum 20 knots for the wake to clean up, and the bow to come down. Nice when you can do 20 knots, but so often here, 20 knots is a bit of a beating, and the boat being on a efficient plane at 15-16 would be great. At present the boat is in a kind of wallowing plane at 15 knots, very bow high, and using nearly as much fuel at that speed as it does at 20 knots. I wanna experiment a bit.

8. Howsounder

upload_2021-10-13_10-43-41.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-13_10-45-33.jpeg
    wake at 15, and 20 knots

9. Captain Starbucks

20211013_173917.jpg

Is that what you need?

10. Howsounder

That’s perfect, thanks very much!!