Oil dipstick length for 4 cyl PMC gas eng in 1988 17 shamrock

olsenscove

Jan 11, 2023
I have recently acquired a 17' er and the oil dip stick bottoms out and was lengthened wrongly (obviously not original). It is a 4 cyl gas PMC (Mitsubishi). Does anyone know the length of the oil dip stick? Also, the transmission fluid type would be valuable info as well. Thanks/Gary

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Factory spec on the trans is Dexron ATF. However, some use Type "F" ATF for a bit more friction. Probably nothing to gain on a 4 cyl though. 71C trans were specd for small block V8's. In a "pinch" straight 20w can be used, but recommended to keep the rpm below 3k. That said, it's easier to find Dexron ATF than straight 20w anymore.

As for the dipstick spec, you'd prolly have to find someone with that engine. There' a few around, but less and less as time goes on. Alternatively, drain and refill to spec and create your own mark.

17'shammy

May 8, 2008
The stopper is very near it's at rest / sealed position when in the transmission - the end of the tape could/should have been nearer the underside of the top of the stopper top, which would put the
measurement closer to 4 1/2"

Tranny Dip Stick _ PXL_20230112_125004305.MP.jpg

Overall length of the Dip Stick

Tranny Dip Stick 2 _ PXL_20230112_125004305.MP.jpg

Checking the fluid level, and I quote:

"Let the trans/ engine get to operating temp, then have someone ready by the dipstick, shut the motor down, and have that person immediately pull the dipstick clean it then put it back in and check it. This has to be done as quick as possible because the fluid will flow back into the trans from the oil cooler and lines.

Add fluid and repeat till its right. Then let the boat sit overnite, pull the dipstick, and note where it is cold, you can then file a small mark onto the stick and that will be your cold level."

Not so sure about filing a mark on the dipstick, wouldn't do to compromise it's integrety

Last edited:

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Always fun to gather and share information ...

There is a number on the back side of the dip stick _ I guess there might be an outside chance of finding a new one ??

View attachment 37154
https://www.liftpartswarehouse.com/product-p/mbmd000290-org.htm

Even state "forklift", which TMK this engine is most similar.

or direct from Japan (and associated shipping).

I suspect there's more

Latest posts