Odd and interesting issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by deputyrpa, Aug 1, 2020.

1. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member

So I took the Admiral out yesterday to find some fish in Long Island Sound. We were 7 miles out, and I shut down the engine for our first drift. It stuttered as it shut down, which struck me as odd for a new engine (6 hours on it). When i went to start it for the next drift setup, I got nothing. No click. All power was on to the fuel pump, etc - but no starter engagement. I went to switch to Battery #2, and noticed that the battery selector was in between the #1 and "both" detents. Never had that happen before, but with two dogs and the Admiral on board, I've seen a lot.

I popped the hood and used my multimeter to check the power to the starter. 12V to the battery stud. I had the Admiral turn the ignition key, and I got zero to the switch stud. All fuses checked out. Stumped. So, being way out, I jumped the starter with a screwdriver and did some more drifts with the engine running. On one drift, I shut the engine down out of habit - and realizing it I turned the ignition and she started right up. Hmmmmm.

We headed in because the drifts were wind against the tide, and restarted it back at the dock, and then again during the flush. Today I had it out all day, and it was flawless.

I'm thinking it was a computer lock down or something, but I'm not convinced that a MEFI 2 is that complicated. Solenoid - maybe, but that, and the starter, is relatively new. Has anyone had this happen, and does anyone have any ideas as to the cause?

2. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

Thinking with my fingers but here is my 2 cents worth.

Like you don't think the computer is that smart.

When you bypassed the starting circuit with screw driver it started. You shifted gears and everything worked afterwards. Could be your neutral safety switch if getting iffy, or the gearshift wasn't truly in neutral, or the linkage is loose.

Could be an intermittent issue with ignition switch or wiring to the starter but the neutral safety switch/linkage is my first guess. would keep on the boat an easy way to bypass normal starting circuit (screwdriver, jumper wire, etc.) I actually have a trigger switch with clamps for the solenoid side. (Not sure if you used screwdriver to engage solenoid of bypassed full starting current.)

Hope this helps with your troubleshooting.

deputyrpa likes this.
  3. deputyrpa

Thanks - I hadn't thought of that! I had checked the NSS, cable and shifter when I set up the engine last week. It was positively crisp. I'll check it again, but I was thinking ignition switch too. I'm going to remove and clean the ignition switch when I get home. The only way I will figure it out is if it happens again. You know.....the hard way!

I had a jump bar for my '70 Mustang decades ago for that very issue. I'll rig one up for the boat, with a longer reach, because the burn on my forearms is still oozing!

4. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

chrodes echoed my theories.

5. Ccc

Ccc Well-Known Member

I get a similar ‘nothing’ every once in a while. Quick push of the shift lever into and back out of gear fixes it. Hopefully it’s as easy for you.

6. deputyrpa

I feel like a moron for glossing right over that! KISS first.....right?