My Monkey Fur is Shedding

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Caroline Britton, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Caroline Britton

Caroline Britton New Member

Hello! I am the proud new co-owner of a 1998 260 Mackinaw and looking for some guidance on the infamous Monkey Fir aka the 70's berber carpet on the walls....how does one best go about cleaning this? At first go, it was emitting what I thought was salt, but I came to realize I think its just "crumbling". I then attempted a hard brush with some cleaning solution on it and that caused it to start to pull up the glue from the wall. My next thought is to go to a hand held steamer....looking for anyone with experience with this. Thanks in advance!

2. ARGO

ARGO Well-Known Member

After trying everything but napalm on my headliner (260 express), last year I just tore it out & replaced it. Not to be attempted by the easily dissuaded.........................

3. Matt Dickinson

Matt Dickinson Active Member

I think that stuff just dry rots and comes off in a fine dust. My '83 cuddy is doing the same thing. I just leave it and don't touch it. Some day, I make take a floor attachment on a shop vac and see if I can suck up what dust I can out of it.

4. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

I used a steam cleaner on ours with limited success... it definitely cleaned the nap of the fabric but the underlying problem (the disintegration of the glue and backing) is still there. Using 3M spray adhesive to resecure some spots helps but ultimately I know I will have to be replacing. But I am just glad the steam cleaning took care of most of the grungy look.

5. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

I'm facing this very same problem in my other boat. When replacing the carpet us the only option, what would you replace the carpet with?
    Sure seems like there must be something better than carpet.

6. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

On our old boat we did a very thin skim coat with epoxy fairing compound then painted it.

7. quickstep192

I love this idea! Did you have to remove glue first? Did you sand the fairing compound before painting?

8. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Yes we sanded the railing compound before painting. It took a bit of time and effort but we thought it was worth it. The surface could wiped down with a damp cloth if ever needed when the project was done.

9. quickstep192

I started taking off some of the carpet. The carpet is coming off easy and the surface behind it looks pretty smooth, but after I pull the carpet away, it's leaving a thin layer of crumbly foam on the hull sides. Any suggestions for how to get that foam mess off?