My boat sank!

Dakota Smoll

Feb 5, 2021
Do not use treated wood- resin does not adhere well. Douglas fir is a common used wood probably what was originally used. Pretreat the wood with CPES-https://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html until it wont take anymore,it is compatible with epoxy resins. US Composites, https://www.uscomposites.com/ has epoxy at more reasonable prices.
I was also told to steer clear of pressure treated. I will look into CPES

Dakota Smoll

Feb 5, 2021
These were what mine looked like. It wasn't an isolated incident. View attachment 37172 View attachment 37174
So I just copied and replaced them. It took a few days, but I know the mounts can take the torque..
View attachment 37176
View attachment 37177
. View attachment 37178
Wow that looks great! I hope I don’t need to tear mine back that far and start fresh but we’ll see…did you do anything to possibly prevent rot in the future? I guess that’s my concern is needing to do this again in a few years. Seems there must be a better way to prevent water intrusion through the lag bolts

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
Wow that looks great! I hope I don’t need to tear mine back that far and start fresh but we’ll see…did you do anything to possibly prevent rot in the future? I guess that’s my concern is needing to do this again in a few years. Seems there must be a better way to prevent water intrusion through the lag bolts
Thanks. The mounting wood is laminated marine ply which I coated heavily with vinylester resin. I used 4200 in the lag bolt holes. That should do it for another 20 years.

If you go digging and don't find good wood, you will have to rip it all out. Frankly, it was relatively easy because most of it was mush. When water gets in, the capillary action is an equal opportunity rotter. The middle section may be rotted and you'd no notice unless you uncovered it. I just kept going, and said, "f-it" - it's out. With the torque of a diesel and even my gas vortec, it would be imperative to have the complimentary strength of a new one-piece engine/tranny mount, rather than a patchwork of new and potentially undiscovered old.

Gary S

Feb 4, 2010
Algonquin Illinois
"I will look into CPES" Keep in mind when I said that, it's not to try to repair what you have now but to treat your new wood. It's much like "pressure treating" but without the pressure, where the cpes soaks into the wood and fills the wood pores so water can't get in. Being a epoxy product your layup glass sticks. Here is another brand I have used with some good reading on their site- http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/
As to sealing lag bolts I have always wondered if you could counter bore the top of the hole say 1/4" and fill that with sealant, then drop the engine in and then lag it down. Anyone have any thoughts on that or a different idea?

pilarboat

Apr 19, 2016
Do not use treated wood- resin does not adhere well. Douglas fir is a common used wood probably what was originally used. Pretreat the wood with CPES-https://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html until it wont take anymore,it is compatible with epoxy resins. US Composites, https://www.uscomposites.com/ has epoxy at more reasonable prices.
Gary: you are correct on not using "plain" treated wood. However, resin will adhere to kiln-dried treated wood wood. Kiln dried treated wood is not common but I used it on engine beds and resin sticks nicely. All I know is that treated wood is placed in a hot kiln for a period of time and it dries the chemicals and ups the cost of the wood. I rebuilt a Grand Banks 42 woodie and the engine beds were made of IPE, (pronounced E-pay). The boat was old and the beds were in perfect condition even after being exposed to bilge water for over 30 years with nothing but paint covering them. GB painted them for appearance only. IPE is a very hard and oily wood not unlike Teak. It is so hard I was able to drill and tap the wood for machine bolts. It was all but impossible to use threaded screws so I used machine bolts.

Gary S

Feb 4, 2010
Algonquin Illinois
Well that is interesting and makes sense on the kiln dried which I never even heard of, I imagine it dries off the water leaving the chemicals which then would kill off any mold spores. I had just assumed something you'd get at HD or something. I know when new that stuff even feels wet.

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
Y
Well that is interesting and makes sense on the kiln dried which I never even heard of, I imagine it dries off the water leaving the chemicals which then would kill off any mold spores. I had just assumed something you'd get at HD or something. I know when new that stuff even feels wet.
Yes, I used kiln-dried 4x4 clear fir for the lengths, and laminated exterior grade ply for the mount saddles. I heard somewhere on here that fir was the wood originally used, and that's what the old ones appeared to be.

pilarboat

Apr 19, 2016
Gary: you are correct on not using "plain" treated wood. However, resin will adhere to kiln-dried treated wood wood. Kiln dried treated wood is not common but I used it on engine beds and resin sticks nicely. All I know is that treated wood is placed in a hot kiln for a period of time and it dries the chemicals and ups the cost of the wood. I rebuilt a Grand Banks 42 woodie and the engine beds were made of IPE, (pronounced E-pay). The boat was old and the beds were in perfect condition even after being exposed to bilge water for over 30 years with nothing but paint covering them. GB painted them for appearance only. IPE is a very hard and oily wood not unlike Teak. It is so hard I was able to drill and tap the wood for machine bolts. It was all but impossible to use threaded screws so I used machine bolts.
I stand corrected on my own post. I wrote that the engine beds in Grand Banks boat were made from IPE. I woke up at 3am and it just popped into my tiny brain, the wood is Yakal not IPE. I don't like getting old. This, for those interested in woods.

Gary S

Feb 4, 2010
Algonquin Illinois
Turns out I'm interested in wood. I have some broken rod holders in the new to me 17 so I thought hey I'll just get some teak and remake them. Not having any luck. Even went to a boat salvage yard in Clearwater nothing there big enough. I have one more to try as soon as my neighbor tells me where it's at.

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
Gary try PMing Fisherlady. Either here or on the Classic site. She got a lot of teak and was making stuff to use some of it. She may still have some to sell.

Latest posts