Mauser's First Pheasant

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
He' turned 15 months old on the 10th. This was at a small local club, going after survivor birds with a friend/member. After he bumped the first bird, Mauser got the hang of them and just performed unbelievably! We missed too many easy shots, but we were in brutal habitat!

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
Glad to see the vest on the dog. I quit gunning birds here in nj because on opening day I went to a local public area and some nit wit shot another mans dog in the parking lot. Said he was following a bird and the dog got in the way. The dog was in the parking lot for crying out loud. That could have been anyone in the lot. I packed up my stuff and haven't gunned bird or rabbits since. Thirty years ago. Shame because I loved the woods but don't own enough to feel safe.

cw.abeljr

Jun 6, 2014
Pasadena, Md
Glad to see the vest on the dog. I quit gunning birds here in nj because on opening day I went to a local public area and some nit wit shot another mans dog in the parking lot. Said he was following a bird and the dog got in the way. The dog was in the parking lot for crying out loud. That could have been anyone in the lot. I packed up my stuff and haven't gunned bird or rabbits since. Thirty years ago. Shame because I loved the woods but don't own enough to feel safe.

That's the reason that I only deer hunt on Private Property.....I refuse to put my life in danger on the public lands.

deputyrpa

Supporting Captain
Aug 28, 2010
Fort Ann, NY
That's the reason that I only deer hunt on Private Property.....I refuse to put my life in danger on the public lands.

Yep. That's why we sacrificed a lot of shiny
things in order to buy and work a big chunk of land. I have a shooting preserve license, and release whatever game birds I want to chase and eat. Next year I'll be raising pheasants. My grouse population has rebounded in the past 5 years since I couldn't hunt old Klaus, but Mauser is putting a dent in them. They're the most rewarding for me, as they are a true test for a good bird dog, and humiliating for a gunner. Mauser is a mechanic on them, and I ....well......suck. Here's a video of an exciting moment a few weeks ago. The bird was crippled, and that's why I was repeating "dead bird" - so he wouldn't keep pointing it. I may have hyperventilated there at the beginning!

Latest posts