Listing to port/wet foam?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jersey Drape, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Jersey Drape

Jersey Drape Well-Known Member

My 22 seems to be listing to port at rest. The weight is pretty evenly balanced on the boat as far as i can tell...

I’ve been searching about water logged foam weighing the boat down but also seeing people say their foam barely held water despite being saturated... thoughts?

Considering i have a walkaround, the compartments next to the engine bay will be pretty difficult to access.... also, are there separate compartments forward or are the connected?

i also notice black liquid coming out of the weep holes in the engine bay and in the fuel tank compartments... what do you think?

thanks.

2. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Another quick thought did you draw your gas tanks down evenly?

With our 26 I could tell if one of the 50 gallon saddle tanks was more empty when I walk up to the boat by the amount of list.

Hopefully something as simple as that will be your answer. Would be a lot easier to switch the valve between tanks then having to dig out foam.

ftu209 likes this.
  3. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is are you sure it ever floated level the day it was built? How much is it off? I know people who had access to Nautique's build records,the company still has it's build sheets back to the early 60's,so I had mine pulled. Every boat goes through a water test apon completion- speed,oil pressure,water temp etc marked on the build sheets 17 pages in all. It was noted that it has a 1/2" list..... You could go through a lot of headache and not accomplish anything.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  4. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

I have no dog in this...I run a Single 250 gallon tank...
    My question;
    WHY not draw off BOTH TANKS at the same time???
    IF..you had twins ( which I do) and you had one on each tank I could come "closer" to understanding....
    BUT.......

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  5. radioman

radioman Well-Known Member

A single engine drawing off of 2 tanks at the same time simply won't work.
    Small differences in the hoses and valves cause enough difference in the "draw" on the tank that one will run dry before the other.

6. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Sorry...Not buying that...Ya gotta give me much more!

7. Jersey Drape

Jersey Drape Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I’m not sure if it floated level since day one. I will double check if it’s a fuel tank being off, but I’m pretty sure STBD has more fuel in it right now.

it’s one of those things that i just noticed recently and now it’s driving me a little crazy, like one of those eye floaters...

Of course the slightest little thing and I’m expecting there’s 600lbs of saturated foam, leaking fuel tanks, rotted stringers, and crushing engine beds.... shamrock search derangement syndrome...

I’m hoping it’s not anything but there’s nothing wrong with being over cautious!

8. tcf25

tcf25 Well-Known Member

Does the black stuff leaking smell bad? Could be indication that the stringers are rotted. Easy enough to drill a small hole in the stringer with a hole saw in an easy place to patch back over. Depending on who you talk to the wood inside the stringer may or may not be important. I tend to fall on the not that important given the thickness of the glass and the solid foam running the length of the boat. As far as the wet foam...not sure how to check on that without more destructive holes.

Jersey Drape likes this.
  9. fourcs

fourcs Well-Known Member

my 85 20' cuddy If I had both tanks on one tank would be lower than the other. The first time out about a 4 hour ride I stuck one tank and only used 1/4 and thought this thing gets great GPH , the next day when I got back I checked the other tank and was almost empty so I did the other tank and had a 1/2 tank. I use the wood dowel that came with the boat.

Jersey Drape likes this.