Its never just replace this???

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by sphooch, Jun 27, 2020.

1. sphooch

sphooch Well-Known Member

Hi guys posted a couple weeks ago about engine failure, just craped out while under way, general thought was coil problem, no spark. So i changed out the coil and just removed the 2 bolts and 2 wired plugs replaced the coil. no big deal engine fired up ran it at dock side for 30 minutes all good. today i took it for a test spin N G . boat is not coming up to speed. at 3000 rpm i'm only doing 10 knots ?? I couldjust feel something is amiss but what could it be? its almost like the timing is off? is that even possible? any ideas out there would be of great help. THANKS THE HOOCH

2. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member

First thing is at 3000rpms the prop turns enough to push you near to top speed. Something sounds fishy like bad tack, fouled running gear. Or plenty of other things. Check the simple things first.

3. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

Not familiar with NJ waters but if you keep your boat in the water (salt water), and it had been a couple weeks or more, and the running gear is not bottom painted with a durable paint, my immediate suspicion would be a fouled bottom/prop. During this time of year mine will foul up in 3 weeks so bad it will barely plane off . (I live on a marsh creek in North Carolina - breeding ground for barnacles.)

I dive and can and do clean the bottom when the paint gets weak. Also, paint wears off quickly on a prop. I find Prop Speed works well.

4. sphooch

sphooch Well-Known Member

Hi , received your mail, do you have any other ideas on what could be wrong. running gear is fine and tac is fine too. are there any sensors i should check?? tomorrow i'm going to do an engine balance test just seems so unusual that after i changed the coil i have ths problem. thanks THE HOOCH

5. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member

If and that is a big if, you are getting 3000 rpms you should be going a lot faster. The why you aren't is where the problems gets more complicated. Drag in the water, prop not performing properly. Or the tack lying. The tack may be the culprit because the coil feeds the tack or at least with my system it does.