Is a PCM 80i trans an exact replacement for a 40i ?

MAC

Sep 12, 2003
Lake Lanier - Georgia
It’s either $975 to rebuild the 40i plus shipping back and forth or $1770 for a brand new 80i plus shipping one way.

Both have 1 yr warrenty

Pros ?
Cons ?
Ideas or advice ?

Gary S

Feb 4, 2010
Algonquin Illinois,Key Largo Florida
In my limited knowledge yes it is the replacement and it's supposed to be better. I also know that parts are more expensive than Velvet drives and can only be gotten from PCM. For sake of argument what happens if they take yours apart and find more is wrong, they will have to charge you more

Bushmanj85

Nov 25, 2015
Gig Harbor, WA
I am in the same boat as you are, and after a crap ton of hours of research, I am going with the 80i. It should go in with out a problem.

Bushmanj85

Nov 25, 2015
Gig Harbor, WA
Ok, I ordered an 80i from Discount Inboard Marine

let me know how the install goes. I am going to order it from them too. Vice over at Discount Inboard Marine is by far one of the most knowledgeable guys out there, and convinced me to go that route.

If possible, can you post some pics of the install and what problems you run in to? I am planning on ordering mine in the spring. Its just to damn cold up here in Alaska to work on a transmission right now haha.

MAC

Sep 12, 2003
Lake Lanier - Georgia
Ok, will be glad to let you know how it goes. I ordered the 80i and Discount Inboard Marine later called and said ready to ship but they are on -hold for some sort of cooling hose they need from PCM which is on back order..... So delays.

Bushmanj85

Nov 25, 2015
Gig Harbor, WA
Ok, will be glad to let you know how it goes. I ordered the 80i and Discount Inboard Marine later called and said ready to ship but they are on -hold for some sort of cooling hose they need from PCM which is on back order..... So delays.

man that hose is still on back order? I called back in end of July/early August and they still didn't have it. I personally would just ask them to ship it. I went to my local marine shop when I was down home in Washington to get a cooling hose and a new transmission line hose, and they literally had bins of them with different lengths.

Might be work asking Discount Inboard, what length and size hose you need, and picking up one from your local shop.

Reactions: MAC

wallamx

Aug 20, 2015
Considering replacing my leaking PCM 40I with a new 80I. Wondering how your install went?

Latest posts