I No Longer Trust Inflatable Life Vests

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Downbucket, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Downbucket

Downbucket Member Supporting Captain

I used to wear a hydrostatic inflatable Life Vest but not anymore. I do not trust them. After five years of owning one, it was time to rearm so I brought it to a vendor. Next day he called and said the vest had to be replaced because the bladder had split open. Neither he nor I had any idea how long the bladder had been in this condition, but I'm just thankful that I never had to use it. Even if, as recommended, I checked it every two or three months, something could puncture the bladder and I may never be aware of it. So, I now wear the PFD pictured below. It might be a bit bulky, but it's failsafe and I feel a lot safer. Out on the ocean, you don't get a second chance.
    upload_2021-9-21_13-1-48.png

Mustang Survival - Industrial Mesh Life Jacket

2. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

The one you wear provides the most safety.

Self-inspect routinely. Cartridge is spec'd at 3 years IIRC. I've replaced my own.

JMO, but it's rather alarmist to not follow the procedure, then blame the product.

I have the "work vests". See a lot of 'em on deadliest catch which is a lo tougher environment than mine will ever see.

3. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

i-should-replace-my-7-yo-inflatable-life-vest.jpg

4. pilarboat

pilarboat Well-Known Member

Until recently I wore a work vest. The oppressive heat here in NC caused me to invest in an inflatable; now you have me worried. I have given some thought to testing mine by jumping in the water and see what happens; has anyone given theirs this test??

5. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

One of the guys at work when overboard. Hydrostatic performed admirably.

But a far as leaks, your supposed to unfold and blow up annually. Let it sit overnight.