I bought a 26 Hardtop

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by deputyrpa, Aug 26, 2020.

1. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Wow. That was in bad shape! Nice job. After talking to Richard Sheppard, I will get those keel rollers and slice the bunks down by 5". Where did you get those keel double rollers?

2. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

My BoatMaster Trailer has high timber bunks that lift the boat's stern pretty high (bow down). This turns out to be a non-issue when launching even on a minimally sloped ramp. My issue is getting the bow to float without getting the tow vehicle's tires wet. Wanted to mention this before you invested a lot of work cutting down your bunks in case it applies.

3. deputyrpa

Thanks Cecil. I had to shake the boat off the trailer when I launched it in my pond. The ramp I made is fairly steep, but the water is only 3' deep at 30' out, and the boat was not floating with my rear tractor tires in the water. I have no problems launching the 20'er with the lower profile Rolls Axle trailer setup. BTW, after changing out plugs and oil, the HT engine ran well on suspect 3 year old gas. (I had pumped some our and ran my dump truck on some already as a test.) Needs a bit of carb cleaning, and a cap and rotor. I'm going to throw that on today, and put a vacuum gauge on it to confirm.

I wound up slicing 5 inches off the bunks with a chainsaw yesterday after I got done with hay. They are untreated 4x12x11L pine, which I can get locally at either of three small mills within town if I goofed up. That was the fast part. Every galvanized lag bolt securing the bunks broke off, except for one. I used a large hand plane to smooth out the chainsaw cut. That was the slow part. I may do what Fisherlady did (if I remember correctly), which is to add an shorter inboard set of bunks to support the stringers. The cross members have some substantial keel pads on the drops, but a couple of keel rollers would be nice to add. I'll post some pics when the sun rises.

4. deputyrpa

Here are the bunks mocked up. Lots of sawdust and shavings!
    KIMG0073.JPG KIMG0074.JPG

5. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Here is our layout... we added bunk slicks after the first couple of months with it. They really helped move the boat!
    IMG951922.jpg

6. deputyrpa

Thanks! That's a NOICE trailer!

After I get the boat back on the trailer, I will measure for the stringer bunks.

7. ChrisA

ChrisA Well-Known Member

They came with the trailer. Performance trailers are long since out of business. Eastern Marine aka Trailer Parts Superstore in Newark, Delaware has just about everything you might need for your trailer, or generic items for your boat. Nice helpful people. I enjoyed stopping in there during visits to my kid at the University. No sales tax in Delaware.

8. crhodes

I'm guessing it is because the picture doesn't show enough detail but looking at the rear of your timber bunks, the high side of the bunk appears to be on the inside of the trailer versus the outside matching the counter of the boat's bottom. (Probably a moot point with the swivel bunks on top of the timber.) Didn't know if the P.O. swapped port & starboard bunks. Again, probably just lack of detail in the picture but thought I would mention it. (Not trying to be a pain.) My timber bunks, which the hull rests on, has the high sides on the outer sides of the trailer. I do not have swivel bunks.

Great news on the engine. You certainly are getting a lot done!

deputyrpa likes this.
  9. deputyrpa

The swivel bunks work properly. I had a much easier time getting the boat onto the trailer and out of the pond last night ( I have floods on the tractor :)). The new profile leaves about 3.5" fender clearance and a bit more under the keel (greater in the stern vs bow). Rollers or inner bunks are necessary to take some bearing weight off the outer hull, but I could also shave another inch or two off the bunks. I would leave more height in the front of the bunks than the back to raise the bow a tad. I don't think the overhang strength would matter much. I had the adjustable bow support up higher, but the weight of the boat drove it down because that's how she wants to sit on the bunks with the angle they are cut (which I maintained). Notice the eye bolt interference with the bow stop roller. The adjustments on the bow support are just dual bolt friction, so I will drill and bolt once I get it right. Suggestions? KIMG0075.JPG KIMG0076.JPG KIMG0077.JPG

10. crhodes

Since it sounds like it is not feasible to raise the boat's bow on the trailer, to get the bow-stop roller to clear the bow-eye, is it feasible to add spacer blocks to raise the winch assembly/roller above the eye? (Unlike mine, it doesn't appear this is adjustable on yours based upon the picture, though the picture does not show forward of the winch.) Just a thought.