Fuel Tank Pickup Troubles

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Alloy Metal Works so far is the cheapest if I drive the two hours into New York to pick it up, would be about $1700 for both. Could be worse.

I'm including all these quotes here so that the next person to undergo this search can skip to the best shops.

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
Tux, the heavier/thicker metal has been reported to stress crack. When I did mine I could have done them in .25 inch and stainless but they were reporting the stress cracks back then in aluminum and stainless so I went with speedy tanks because they matched the rds specs.

seatux

Aug 19, 2006
Port Charlotte Florida
Tux, the heavier/thicker metal has been reported to stress crack. When I did mine I could have done them in .25 inch and stainless but they were reporting the stress cracks back then in aluminum and stainless so I went with speedy tanks because they matched the rds specs.
Sorry Ship, I don't buy that..
This company makes a living mfg fuel tanks. They made all the tanks for the 290wa, at the very least ( maybe other models as well). And my tank is still good after 19 years...I pulled it cause I had a fuel leak, and figured it was the tank, the tank was good, it was a fuel line issue.
A smaller tank can be made of lesser gauge, but as the tank grows in size/gallons, so does the stress, so the gauge of the material used must be beefed up also.

Last edited:

seatux

Aug 19, 2006
Port Charlotte Florida
Tux, I don't care what you buy. The record is what it is. My opinion doesn't matter either.
Yup,
And I can show you lots of info that proves the world is flat also...

You know.. all aluminum and stainless steel are not "created equally" Ever wonder why 316SS from China is Shit? Yet some mfg will use cheaper sourced materials and wonder why they have failures.

Last edited:

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
Yeah. All metal isn't created equal. But more importantly not all welds are either but they are all brittle. You have to add metal in the weld or gussets or relieve the stress. The vibration and flex boats have causes stress fractures in the glass, metal. So when the Coast Guard puts out bulletins about it, it is an issue. Oh . Did I say I welded thin metal for a living for 25 years. Must have slipped my mind.

seatux

Aug 19, 2006
Port Charlotte Florida
I reached out to a big company that makes marine fuel tanks, They said;
The Coast Guard Certified tanks we build are out of .250 aluminum thickness 5052 H32 You may find more information out by researching the web under Coast Guard Fuel Tank Regulations.
So for grins I looked up the USCG info:
and they refered to table;

Read down to the chart that says;

Material ASTM specification Thickness in inches and gage numbers 1 vs. tank capacities
Aluminum 5 ................ B 209, Alloy 5086 6 .................... 0.250 (USSG 3) ......

So Ship, I don't know what you are talking about...
And you probably don't either.

boataddict

Go with a reputable tank mfg and what THEY say should be used.

Last edited:

Latest posts