Fuel Stick 1998 Mackinaw

Tuloko77

Supporting Captain
Sep 12, 2020
Mammoth Lakes
Would anybody here be able to take a picture of their fuel stick next to a tape measure for me? Mine did not come with one, and I would love to have one with the correct markings. I assume the gasoline and diesel tanks are the same, I have a Cummins diesel. Everyone says I should be able to get 8-8.5” of fuel reading but I only show 6.5”. I.ll try a smaller diameter stick, but don’t think it’ll matter.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
I have a 3/8 dowel 36" long. I was lazy and just made a few sharpie marks 2" apart to total 8".

When I stick the tank, the opposite end top sharpie mark is about flush with the fill.

Double end it so that there's no confusion between tanks.

Works pretty good and eyeball gets me within a few gallons of fill.

Last edited:

Tuloko77

Supporting Captain
Sep 12, 2020
Mammoth Lakes
I have a 3/8 dowel 36" long. I was lazy and just made a few sharpie marks 2" apart to total 8".

When I stick the tank, the opposite end top sharpie mark is about flush with the fill.

Double end it so that there's no confusion between tanks.

Works pretty good and eyeball gets me within a few gallons of fill.

Tuloko77

Supporting Captain
Sep 12, 2020
Mammoth Lakes
I just can’t figure out why I’m only getting a reading of 6.5” when full- or when fuel spits out the vents. It’s the same on port and starboard tanks. I’ll have to pull up the floor sooner or later and check my tank…

Last edited by a moderator:

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
Before you do that, turn your fuel selector valve so you can run one tank empty and then stick it. Then fill to full and stick it again Divide by 4 and you have 10 gallons per mark. I know running a diesel dry is a pain in the tush but it's easier to reprime than remove tanks.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
I just can’t figure out why I’m only getting a reading of 6.5” when full- or when fuel spits out the vents. It’s the same on port and starboard tanks. I’ll have to pull up the floor sooner or later and check my tank…
Dunno. I have right at 8".

If the dipstick hangs up, it's by significantly more than 1.5".

Tuloko77

Supporting Captain
Sep 12, 2020
Mammoth Lakes
Update- i Discovered the easiest way to get some answers. I pulled off the fuel fill shroud and was able to get a measurement of the gunnel side of the tank, and what do you know it was about 6-6.5”. On my boat, I have a 6” round hatch in the floor panel covering my starboard side tank. Through this hatch and with some lighting in there, I was able to get a look at the fuel tank tag, it was manufactured by RDS. It’s a 48 gallon tank and I was able to get the serial number. I’ll send Richard Shepard an email and see if he can give me some tank drawings, from which I could derive Some fuel stick measurements. One more interesting find. While it was hard to read, it looks like the tank was manufactured in 7/1999. My boat is a 1998… Thanks for your comments and I’ll keep you posted on what I hear from Richard.

Latest posts