Forward bilge pump

Rusty Rod

Feb 28, 2015
San Diego
Turns out it was an old ground from a buss-bar (midship) that was bad. Fixed the ground, no more issues.

Thought I'd mention it to for anyone having a similar problem.

Rusty Rod

Feb 28, 2015
San Diego
Thought I would add another comment about how this worked out, since it's been a while. For the most part, the little whale pump worked fine..... for a while. Then, it would come on and just run for a while, then it wouldn't prime, then it would ...... well, it just didn't last very long. But, in defense of this little pump, I'm sure I was pumping more crap through it than it liked.

So, I had an old diaphragm pump sitting in the garage from an old wash down system. I ended up cutting a 6" hole under the toilet paper holder and installing the pump. Installed a regular rule float switch in the bilge and a small brass strainer on the end of a 5/8 piece of hose which was run to the new pump. (The small whale pump now sits on the bottom of the ocean, next to array of other parts that have pissed me off) And.... it works a ton better than the whale. Sucks the front area completely dry with no water running back through the hose. Simple and effective.

It's really nice to remove the engine cover and look down and have no water under the engine.

I Like it!

Tuloko77

Supporting Captain
Sep 12, 2020
Mammoth Lakes
The Whale is not in the step down. The step down in my 99' V bunk area has a 14 fresh water tank below it. I initially installed the Whale just forward of the step down by removing the big tub in the center of the Vbunk but it was too far forward to be totally effective. The well that I formed and the Whale pump is below the tub between the helm seats. I fabricated a 12" x 16" hatch in the bottom of this tub to allow me access to work in this area. Originally there was a stock 8" round hatch down there that was used to service the stock Rule pump and float switch. I left the Rule there and formed the well just in front of it. As far as the hose going to a through hull it was easy for me. You may recall I completely removed the head cabinet and refitted the port a potti to be perpendicular to the stringer and below the now expanded Vbunk. I just connected the hose from the Whale to the old sink drain through hull that was in the head. There should be a hollow area between the head and helm area that will allow you to run a hose to the outside. I removed the head cabinet about 12 years ago an can't recall exactly what was there. I do remember it was a bitch to remove as it was set in place at the factory before the house was lowered on. I had to cut it out.

regards Holty
A little aside from this topic… but Holty, do you have any knowledge of any foam beneath the helm and companion seats? I am curious if there is any water in there…it looks like it could easily get in the through the hole on the deck where the quick release pin holds the seat supports in place. If there’s any water in there, I’d like to get it out and lighten up my load.

TheBoat

Nov 3, 2019
Southern Maine
I have a 2010 Shamrock 246 center console that came from the factory with 4 bildge pumps in it. 2 in the stern one in from of the diesel at the bulkhead and one that is hidden uder the console and can only be accessed buy removing the storage locker in the head. ( I think Ill take the panel off this spring and vacume and clean that pump out as I have dropped a wrench down there installing the batterys and its most likly rusted up now. so much for the wrench. I also plan opn adding a vale with strainer pickup to the seawater intake for the livewell, wash down pump so it can act as a 5th bildge pump and replae the single macerator for the 2 indeck fish boxes with 2 macerators that fo directly overboard so they can also be bildge pumps. that will make 7 total.

TheBoat

Nov 3, 2019
Southern Maine
A little aside from this topic… but Holty, do you have any knowledge of any foam beneath the helm and companion seats? I am curious if there is any water in there…it looks like it could easily get in the through the hole on the deck where the quick release pin holds the seat supports in place. If there’s any water in there, I’d like to get it out and lighten up my load.
I am going to remove the foam helm and rear seats and replace them with pvc custom fit with high density foam that will not asorb water. acts as a better shock asorber for yur back when your doing 35 kts in 4-6 ft chop also.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
I have a 2010 Shamrock 246 center console that came from the factory with 4 bildge pumps in it. 2 in the stern one in from of the diesel at the bulkhead and one that is hidden uder the console and can only be accessed buy removing the storage locker in the head. ( I think Ill take the panel off this spring and vacume and clean that pump out as I have dropped a wrench down there installing the batterys and its most likly rusted up now. so much for the wrench. I also plan opn adding a vale with strainer pickup to the seawater intake for the livewell, wash down pump so it can act as a 5th bildge pump and replae the single macerator for the 2 indeck fish boxes with 2 macerators that fo directly overboard so they can also be bildge pumps. that will make 7 total.
If you like pumps, you can turn your RWP into a crash pump.

Latest posts