Ford 7.3 "Godzilla" anyone.

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by TomF, Oct 11, 2020.

1. TomF

TomF Member

The new 7.3 fits in the same space as a 5.0 liter. Any guesses as to the results if one was put in a 20' - 25'? (We'll suspend disbelief for a bit and assume required parts could be found or fabricated.) 13" props can have 21" pitch. Spin a 21 pitch to 5,000 RPM, assume 15% slip, and you've still got 84 MPH. Or would the flat hull suck in so tight you'd be lucky to get 45?

2. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

After searching a bit I have not found anyone marinizing this engine yet. Will be interesting to see if some company will attempt making a marine version.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  3. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

EVERY hull has a Maximum safe hull speed...Have you ever been in a grossly overpowered boat? ANY Shamrock pushing 84 mph would be a death trap.

fourcs and Jeff Gibson like this.
  4. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Would be happy to get a true 30mph in a 26 open.

Obviously I would want that with ideal conditions, I have no desire to beat myself, the crew or the boat up with a bunch of pounding.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  5. tuner

tuner Well-Known Member

The new 7.3 has my attention. I know the Ford guys don't want to hear it, but the engine is much like a big LS. Independent dyno testing has shown 500hp with open headers and a tune. Indmar has marinized the 6.2 and even the 2.3 Ecoboost, they may be the first with the 7.3.

FWIW, my Mackinaw has, briefly, in ideal conditions, run 37mph (gps). The boat felt squirrelly to me, maybe too fast for for the hull design. I can't imagine 40+.

6. Pequod

Pequod Well-Known Member

I believe Mercruiser marinized the Ford 7.3l years ago with not much success.
    Doug Russell Marine is selling reman 7.3l engines.

7. tuner

tuner Well-Known Member

The "new" 7.3 is a gasoline engine, nothing in common with the Powerstroke 7.3.

8. TomF

TomF Member

That would have been the old PowerStroke diesel. The new one is gasoline powered. Out for the 2020 year. It's only a couple thousand more than the base and includes the new 10 speed tranny. Not sure how long the 6.2 has left.

9. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

My .02c.
    There is a max performance capability for these hulls, and even with enough power applied to achieve it you may not be safe, or comfortable there. Our H/T currently maxes out at about 32mph with the engine we have in it. Gaining a few more mph may have a rare benefit but would probably limit out safety wise before power wise with a jump to 500hp.
    On the upside though. Having more hp available may increase your comfortable, and economic, cruise speed quite a bit. In theory the engine wont have to work as hard to maintain the cruise and could wear better and run a bit easier on fuel (I would hope) which may offset some of the front end cost .
    If you do go for it please post up some real world numbers for any of us facing repower choices in the near future.

10. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Following the post it’s obvious there are several great engine options for these excellent hulls.
    We periodically debate repowering but the original 1990 351W marinized by Indmar is still running great. The motor only made 240hp when new but it still gives its all, so I can’t knock the 351W base engine But with that lower horse power the 26 open can only cruise around 20-21mph and tops off around 25-26mph

However when we do repower it will be with something with more oomph such as the 383 Stroker or possibly the Godzilla. Ultimately we want to achieve about 25-26mph cruise and top off around 30mph. I know these hulls are built for comfort not speed but it would be nice to have that little extra in reserve.