Foam Flotation

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Arundel30, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Arundel30

Arundel30 Member

Hello,
    I have a 1989 Predator 22 that I purchased last December but have not used yet. While I had the engine out for sprucing up, I found water seeping into the bilge and have determined the foam is saturated. I am presently removing the foam from the compartments on the side of the engine. Does anyone know if the foam is a structural element in these boats? I am considering alternatives to the foam, but also need to know the correct density (2# or 4#, etc.) in case I decide to just replace it. I have wanted one of these boats for along time and want to make it the best I can.
    Regards,
    Dan

2. Rejoice

Rejoice Well-Known Member

I don't know if the foam is structural but I doubt it. How did you remove the foam?
    Rich

3. Rejoice

Rejoice Well-Known Member

I don't know if the foam is structural but I doubt it. How did you remove the foam?
    Rich

4. blackdog

blackdog Well-Known Member

I removed the foam from my 7320'cc for the same reason.I never replaced it to this day three years later no problems solid as could be.

5. Arundel30

Arundel30 Member

I made a tool to go in a VSR drill by cutting a disc out of sheet metal with a hole saw, made two slices with tin snips and bent up two ears. This is fastened to a long 1/4" bolt as an arbor. I made another tool from a piece of exhaust pipe by filing one end to look like a hole saw and turned it by hand. The detail cleaning was done with an assortment of modified putty knifes. Access was cut in the deck that will take a BOMAR BOM-8711-w Hatch (although I may upgrade to a better hatch).

6. Arundel30

Arundel30 Member

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather be able to see the problem next time rather than it be hidden by foam.

7. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

Take a picture of your various tools. I would be interested in seeing your approach.

8. chuckash

chuckash Well-Known Member

I thought the foam provided structural support between the hull bottom and the deck. On my 76, I believe the deck would flex if not for the foam underneath.

Blackdog, when you removed the foam, did you have to support the deck somehow? I would have loved to leave the foam out, but wasn't sure about the structural integrity so I purchased a large quantity of two part foam and re-installed.

I dug mine out with a shovel, and probably got 200 lbs of soaked material out of each side.

Charlie

9. chuckash

chuckash Well-Known Member

I thought the foam provided structural support between the hull bottom and the deck. On my 76, I believe the deck would flex if not for the foam underneath.

Blackdog, when you removed the foam, did you have to support the deck somehow? I would have loved to leave the foam out, but wasn't sure about the structural integrity so I purchased a large quantity of two part foam and re-installed.

I dug mine out with a shovel, and probably got 200 lbs of soaked material out of each side.

Charlie

10. Quik Fix

Quik Fix Well-Known Member

Charlie, your boat was built differently than his. Yours was structural.