Finally Got Out!

Fish Witch

Apr 1, 2008
Anchorage and Seward, Alaska
A little later than usual for me but finally got out Sunday. Beautiful weather and water was flat so I didn't get to train up my sea legs much after being shore bound so long, but managed to get into the butts. I got two nice ones, a 46 pounder and a 60, plus two chickens for my buddies. Sorry, no pics! My buddy on the gaff got one chicken that shook the hook at the boat and he nailed it in the tail while headed down! What a shot and just the right thickness for blackened halibut dinner! Now to get some more while the weather is so good and the boat is running well.
Tight lines all!

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Nice job.

I haven't been out for a month as it's been blowing most of the time. Planning to get out Sunday. Salmon is a bit slow, but there's cod areas near where some of the salmon have been coming. So may switch to cod.

Fish Witch

Apr 1, 2008
Anchorage and Seward, Alaska
Got another nice halibut the other day out to my usual spot in 270' of water. Out with a guy, Ross, who's lived up here for over 40 years and only caught 10-20 pounders on charter boats that seem to specialize in taking clients to their chicken holes. Anyway, a really slow morning with a few rockfish, and after getting our limit of one each, had to put the others back down (required now for the non-pelagic rockfish up here, their bladders blow up and won't go down by themselves coming up from deep water so we have to have gear to release them deep). Then the pacific cod moved in and boated a half dozen big ones (maybe 8-10 pounds) and threw back a few smaller ones. After a fin whale passed by not more than 100 yards off, the halibut finally showed and we got three nice chickens. Then Ross's rod bent over. I had just given him one of my rods after the drag on his reel wouldn't tighten down enough, and good thing I did, he never would have gotten that fish up without a decent drag. I knew it was a big fish the way the rod I gave him bent over so I scrambled around getting my harpoon set up ready to stick it (I don't like to bring the big ones onboard until they're subdued and the harpoon lets me tie them off until ready to come aboard). Unfortunately, I didn't have time to pull my line in and it got tangled in Ross's fish, what a mess that turned out to be! Anyway, got the fish stuck and when we pulled it onboard, measured out to be 100 pounds by the tide book data. Even though I lost about 250 feet of braided line on my reel (braid tangles are a mess!), that fish made one happy fisherman and well worth it! The biggest one on my boat this year and among the handful or so I've brought aboard of that size so a memorable day. And I got a nice note from Ross saying he had given up on halibut fishing only getting small chickens but that fish has him hooked now on fishing for butts. A good day on the water!
Tight lines all!

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Xlnt!

I only fished Pacific Butts in Port Hardy. Skipper 'pooned every one even though nothing was particularly big (maybe 40#). I hear the big ones can bust your boat or your leg if not subdued.

Latest posts