EFI Swap

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by Tnminnow, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Tnminnow

Tnminnow Member

I have no desire to swap a low hour solid 302 for a 4.3. My main issue is the unreliable bowl floats on the Holley carb. If I could eliminate stuck needles and get more reliable cold starting with maybe a little better fuel economy from swapping over I’m all for it. However it sounds like the 02 system is quite problematic in the wet exhaust so may just be a pipe dream.

2. Jim Burnham

Jim Burnham Well-Known Member

I'm a crap mechanic, and my 1200+ hour 302 with an Edelbrock 4bbl and DUI HEI ignition runs very reliably. My least-reliable component is my ancient wiring and switch panel.

A complex, aftermarket FI system is not going to gain reliability.

When my engine wasn't reliable, I threw relatively small money at it - following convention. A new carb and HEI ignition pretty much guarantees reliability.

3. Tnminnow

Tnminnow Member

Jim you just answered my next question, I had an edelbrock on my old master craft and I really never had much trouble with it, I cheapped out with this one and bought a rebuilt Holley instead since that was what was on it. Sounds like DUI and new edelbrock is the direction I am headed in.

4. Jim Burnham

Jim Burnham Well-Known Member

If you are raw-water cooled, it will be an easy project with a big reward. I think there is a kit to address the fuel line switching to the port side. If you have a PCM closed cooling system, you will need to use some spacers to move the thermostat housing forward - this was challenging for me.

5. Tnminnow

Tnminnow Member

Mine is raw water cooled, I live in Memphis so I guess I can support local and make my boat run better at the same time, I think the only thing I will have to modify is the 45 degree steel fuel line.

6. Matt Dickinson

Matt Dickinson Active Member

I took off my Holley and put on a Q jet. What a difference...in reliability, economy, ease of maintenance, trolling performance.

7. pilarboat

pilarboat Well-Known Member

Gary has nailed it! Listen to him.