Drain Plugs Help

Downbucket

Supporting Captain
Sep 8, 2021
Maine
Finally about to launch my 220 WA. Purchased her last September but too late in the season to put in the water.
Anyway, when the boatyard winterized her, they taped the the three drain plugs to the steering wheel. Two go into the
transom. I think the third one goes into the hole on the port side of the hull near the keel however, it does not seem to fit.
I can only thread it about two turns. Questions:
1. Is this the correct location for the third drain plug?
2. Is it okay to use a socket wrench to tighten it?
3. Should I use plumber's tape on the threads for all three plugs.

Thanks.

Throwback

Jan 18, 2020
Westville NJ
Finally about to launch my 220 WA. Purchased her last September but too late in the season to put in the water.
Anyway, when the boatyard winterized her, they taped the the three drain plugs to the steering wheel. Two go into the
transom. I think the third one goes into the hole on the port side of the hull near the keel however, it does not seem to fit.
I can only thread it about two turns. Questions:
1. Is this the correct location for the third drain plug?
2. Is it okay to use a socket wrench to tighten it?
3. Should I use plumber's tape on the threads for all three plugs.

Thanks.
The plug for the bottom might go in from the outside. Mine does.

Downbucket

Supporting Captain
Sep 8, 2021
Maine
The plug for the bottom might go in from the outside. Mine does.
Thanks throwback. I tried from the outside. It will turn only two turns. Haven’t tried a ratchet yet. Maybe it goes o. Inside. I’ll check. Thanks.

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
Mine are all brass tubes, no threads. 2 scuppers just above deck level and one by the rudder post. All 3 use the rubber stoppers (I install from inside).

In other boats, a garboard plug in the transom, installed from the outside aren't/weren't uncommon.

While a number have installed a garboard plug in the belly, I don't think that was ever done by the factory.

Downbucket

Supporting Captain
Sep 8, 2021
Maine
Mine are all brass tubes, no threads. 2 scuppers just above deck level and one by the rudder post. All 3 use the rubber stoppers (I install from inside).

In other boats, a garboard plug in the transom, installed from the outside aren't/weren't uncommon.

While a number have installed a garboard plug in the belly, I don't think that was ever done by the factory.
Thanks Mistress. Opened engine cover and found the drain hole next to the engine.

petertr3

Supporting Captain
Jul 11, 2017
I have two threaded plugs in the transom. I just use teflon tape. I still have an open contract out on the idiot who used 5200 for thread sealant on the original drains.. I had to remove and replace both fittings. Good news, they are both nice Grocos. I don't recall seeing a garboard drain under the engine - I'll look closely next time I crawl under,

Latest posts