Damper Plate or normal gear noise?

Sham246

Nov 17, 2022
Central Florida
Hey Everyone, We just bought our first inboard boat (246 Open) back in April. It's developed this noise in gear (both fwd & rev) that goes away with a small throttle bump. I'm assuming this is not "gear chatter" or "lash" and is the start of a damper plate going?

I'm also looking for a mechanic in Central Florida (Polk County or near by) to go over everything with me if you know of one.

Last edited:

Mistress

Staff member
Supporting Captain
Jan 22, 2005
San Jose, CA
That sounds pretty raspy. I've had more a "clink clink" from fretting springs in the damper.

That it goes away with a bit of rpm, does tend to indicate damper. That it so raspy, would make me think it's not damping at all.

My Suredrive damper is absolutely silent. :)

sboat1

Dec 8, 2020
Hey Everyone, We just bought our first inboard boat (246 Open) back in April. It's developed this noise in gear (both fwd & rev) that goes away with a small throttle bump. I'm assuming this is not "gear chatter" or "lash" and is the start of a damper plate going?

I'm also looking for a mechanic in Central Florida (Polk County or near by) to go over everything with me if you know of one.

Is that a Hurth gear? sounds like one.

flatrock

Aug 13, 2009
Marblehead, MA
First thing I would do is check and change the transmission fluid. Always start with the easiest and check them off the list as you go. Also, look at the shaft coupler, and loose bolts or wear/slop? Then confirm alignment is good, after that I'd consider opening it up to check the damper plate. Chances are it could be that for sure, but why not start on the easy and cheap stuff before pulling the tranny!

idigit

Mar 28, 2022

I had this sound, very similar, happen with similar issue just a few months back. My motor was a new replacement long block, so I knew it must be the damper, and many of the members in this form commented the same... so I pulled the trigger, and had the damper plate replaced. That was exactly the issue. The mechanic should have, but did not check and replace my damper when the motor was out, so I had the expense of pulling the motor again to gain access. 2005 Shamrock Adventurer 22.

Attachments

• 91F4C16D-F5DB-486D-902B-8860DD0C17CE.jpeg
    91F4C16D-F5DB-486D-902B-8860DD0C17CE.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2DE4EF4D-5DA9-4530-85F1-E88FE0461FC5.jpeg
    2DE4EF4D-5DA9-4530-85F1-E88FE0461FC5.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A3257D09-FF42-4E9D-B358-7F602202347F.jpeg
    A3257D09-FF42-4E9D-B358-7F602202347F.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 18

Sham246

Nov 17, 2022
Central Florida
I had this sound, very similar, happen with similar issue just a few months back. My motor was a new replacement long block, so I knew it must be the damper, and many of the members in this form commented the same... so I pulled the trigger, and had the damper plate replaced. That was exactly the issue. The mechanic should have, but did not check and replace my damper when the motor was out, so I had the expense of pulling the motor again to gain access. 2005 Shamrock Adventurer 22.
Thanks, I saw your post on the facebook group. Did your noise go away with some throttle?

Latest posts