Cleaning Cushion Covers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Downbucket, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Downbucket

Downbucket Active Member Supporting Captain

Just cleaned the cushions from the cuddy using the information from this website:
    how to remove horrible stains from car seats YouTube
    Very impressed. Removed stains and dirt. The cushions are covered in tan Sunbrella fabric. Unfortunately, I did not take before and after pictures. Be sure to spot test first.

2. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Now do yourself a HUGE favor, spray them down with "Starbrite water proofing" put on latex gloves and rub it in all over and let dry. Now they are near impervious to soiling and stains. I use it on Many things, wife makes custom embroidered place mats, I treat them and you can pour beat juice, wine, anything on them and it repels it rather than absorbs it.

3. Downbucket

Downbucket Active Member Supporting Captain

Thanks Seatux. Great suggestion and will do it.

4. pilarboat

pilarboat Well-Known Member

I think using any strong solution to clean fabric will remove both the stain and protective chemicals that just makes matters worse. Seatux has it right on waterproofing. Now a question, will Starbrite stop rain water from coming through my Sunbrella t-top? I am thinking about having a vinyl fabric top made to prevent water dribbling down my neck.

5. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

I made a canopy top for my boat lift, to keep the sun off my Shamrock, and better protect it. I used Sunbrella for the canvas, and over the years (17 years in the Brutal Florida sun) the Sunbrella had lost the ability to repel water, so I remove it and sprayed ( pump up, lawn weed sprayer) Starbrite Water Proofing, full strength, to the top side. WALA...Like new again!
    Caution, first time I did it( I have done it twice in 17 years) I did it on the lawn, and some of the Starbrite weaped thru and REALLY killed my grass! LUCKY it didnt kill the roots and it all came back! The second time I did it was on the driveway.
    So YES, this stuff works wonders.

6. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Stay away from the vinyl fabrics, they s-t-r-e-t-c-h !
    Sunbrella DOES NOT stretch.
    On cushions, stretch is ok,
    On tops, it's gonna get Ugly!

7. pilarboat

pilarboat Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Seatux. I'll try removing and Starbrite it on my driveway. I'm a bit of a tree-hugger and wonder how Starbrite runoff might be harmful. Some chems we use can be downright scary. I live near the Cape Fear River that has been polluted by a company called Chemoors (sp?), a sub of Dupont; they make teflon for cookware and other things so they might make the repellant for Starbrite. Hence, my concern. Mike

8. ARGO

ARGO Well-Known Member

I have a couple of stain charts, here's one . hope it helps

Attached Files:

9. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

The Sunbrella 303 fabric guard works great to waterproof old Sunbrella fabric, but it cost $98 / gallon with my Port Supply Discount ( $80.89 @ Amazon).
    The Starbrite Waterproofing ( the one with PTEF..NOT the water soulable one) cost $54 / gallon w/Port Supply ( $33.00 @ Amazon). And it takes TWO gallons of material to cover my boat canopy. I have used the 303, and it is good, but if I can save $100 and get the same results.....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021