Buying an 88 260 Predator

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by issa_cadirac, Jul 7, 2020.

1. issa_cadirac

issa_cadirac Member

Quick intro, I'm from the Baltimore area and looked at an 88 260 Predator this past weekend down toward Solomans Island (Ridge, MD). Other than needing to be cleaned up, the boat seems to be in decent shape. The 351 Windsor has 1,000 hours on it and starts right up. Fuel tanks have been glassed. Anything else I should be on the lookout for on this particular year/model? Looking to pick her up this weekend.

2. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Not specific to any models but for the age I would be looking at the manifolds and risers to see when they were changed last, are the zincs all present and in good shape? Sea trial it and take along a heat gun, bring it up to temperature.... are the speed and RPM readings right for the engine? Are there any hot spots on exhaust systems? Any misses or lagging at any rpm ranges?
    The wiring on these boats is notoriously sketchy due to factory install and previous owner changes over the years, so give it a good going over.
    Have fun, these boats are worth the time needed for repairs or maintenance.

3. issa_cadirac

issa_cadirac Member

Awesome, thank you for the advice. Manifolds and risers are pretty new and zincs are about ready to be replaced. I will certainly take your advice on the other things! I will probably not put her in the water this year and spend the rest of this summer and winter doing some refurbishing etc. Does $7k sound reasonable? Includes a 1995 trailer in good condition.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  4. Matt Dickinson

Matt Dickinson Active Member

I just bought an '83 260 cuddy in December. I am pretty impressed at how easy these boats are to work on. Wiring was wild from previous owners, but very accessible to clean up. I had to do risers, manifolds, carb rebuild, plugs, wires and pump the bottom off the tanks to get her going, but once again, all very accessible. Be warned, repower is going to be tricky due to the lack of space(width) in the engine area. Mine is repowered with a pleasure craft marine, and those new risers and manifolds are a half inch from being too wide. Mine is now a salmon killing charter boat on the eastern basin of lake Ontario. It really is a great platform.

Attached Files:

5. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

7k does sound reasonable if the hull and trailer are both in good shape. If any motor issues you may be facing a repower so figure that into your budget.

Some other things to check for wear... rudder arm, sea cock and trim tab set up from pump to tabs. Do the bilge pumps all work? Fuel vents clear? Blower motor and hoses?

6. issa_cadirac

issa_cadirac Member

Beautiful boat!

Matt Dickinson likes this.
  7. issa_cadirac

issa_cadirac Member

Awesome, thank you! The hull is in great shape, the motor does have some hours on it so I'm planning on a rebuild at some point but seems to run well.

The rudder was converted to hydraulic about 5 years ago, I'll have to check the wear. Trim tabs work but I didn't inspect the rest of the system. Bilge pumps work. Have to check the fuel vents. Does need a blower motor.

Thank you again for the advice and I'll be sure to post some pics this weekend.

8. radioman

radioman Well-Known Member

Check the keel for any cracks or voids.
    Check cutlass bearing for excessive play.
    Check keel shoe for snug fit.

If not done recently, since you plan to "rebuild" her, you may want to rebed the water intakes and through hulls.

Also if she is going to live on a trailer and not be moored, you may want to consider installing a garboard drain in the engine house in front of the engine.

9. issa_cadirac

issa_cadirac Member

Thanks for the feedback! Keel looks like it's in very good shape as well as the keel shoe. On the cutlass bearing, i did notice it had between 1/32" and 1/16" of vertical play, no horizontal. I had kind of planned on pulling the drive shaft to replace the stuffing box and doing the cutlass bearing, doesn't seem like it's too difficult of a job. Do the drive shafts tend to need replacing due to wear at the stuffing contact area? Also would like to rebed thru hulls, how difficult are they to access? From what I saw when I looked at the boat out of the water, they look pretty easy to work on.

10. radioman

radioman Well-Known Member

About the shaft...I really haven't seen anybody posting about needing to replace a shaft unless there is some scoring or damage from a bad stuffing seal or external damage.

The re-bedding should be fairly easy if it is on a trailer, our 26 was simple to do.