Blue Sea Systems Battery Combiner / Isolator?

Discussion in 'Tips & Modifications' started by TransFueler, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

Make sure that galvanic isolator is wired right. Mine came wired wrong with the neutral and ground connected together so when my marina went to ground fault plug ins, it tripped the dock. I think I posted on this a while back.

2. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Thanks Ken. I'll check. I've had mine plugged into many marinas. The only one that made it unhappy was the one in Victoria, BC. Panel lit up saying reverse polarity.

3. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

Do you have to parallel the batts to start the Yanmar? When I first got my Mack I bought new Delco Voyager batts. On a cold (by coastal CA standards) 1 batt wouldn't turn over the Cummins. The way I see it, it's not a 2 batt system if it takes 2 batts.

I put in Yellow tops and lasted for 8 years before 1 would struggle. Recently went with Those X2's But dayum they're not cheap. $800 for 2.

The negative for Optima (other than I've heard they moved mfg. to Mehico and quality went down and they're expensive as well) is they suffer on amp*hour rating.

4. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

Mistress - one battery is all my Yanmar takes and it fires off before one revolution every time, except when I've run out of fuel :mad:.

5. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Mine starts just like Ken's. One battery and springs to life instantly.

6. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

The Cummins lights right off assuming enough rpm/piston velocity to compress the fuel.

7. petertr3

petertr3 Well-Known Member

I have had a Blue Seas battery panel that has separate switches for the starting battery and a breaker for the house bank with an emergency cross-connect on the Sabre for about 15 years. Also with a Yandina battery combiner. The starting battery gets charged and the house bank gets connected by a solenoid when the voltage hits 13.5.
    It is an reliable, effective, no fuss, no drama system. I use Blue Seas products almost exclusively on both boats. Top quality and real, knowledgeable people answer the phone if you have questions. When they lost their main facility and a bunch of inventory to a fire set by a disgruntled ex-employee a few years ago, I was worried about them, but they are back, good as ever.