BIG 1996 Shamrock 220 WA Project

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
I found the little in-line filters I was using pretty ineffective. I took out the major fuel-water separator/filter and it was filled with junk. Replaced that and got fuel that was very clean. After running the pump again for an hour through that fresh filter it was again coming out dirty, so I cleaned it out and restarted the process. This seems to be working as it's been pumping for a while now and is still clean.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Well, I consider this past weekend a success. After a couple more times emptying the fuel filter from the starboard tank, the fuel remained clean. This is what came out of the filter:
PXL_20211003_193956445.jpg

Sorry for that eyesore. I pumped the fuel over into the port tank and started to repeat the process. Next weekend I'll finish cleaning out that port tank and then I'll attempt to run her again several times throughout the weekend; hopefully I will not have any more gummed up injectors!

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Well it appears my flushing of the fuel system has worked. After cleaning the injectors one last time the engine has fired up perfectly the past couple days. Which of course has led me to my next issue to tackle:
After cleaning the bilge I noticed I had an oil leak especially at any speed past idle. After some deep cleaning and investigation I caught it dripping from between the transmission and engine at the starboard side. This picture is from the front looking towards the stern. It's a pretty steady leak, not something I can ignore unfortunately. Caught it dripping right by that bolt over the oil puddle.
PXL_20211009_184652333.jpg

Would I be correct to assume this is the rear main seal? Has anyone had any luck with any quick fixes for this and/or know what the process would be like to tackle this job.

fishineer

Jul 31, 2011
Wilmington, NC
Well it appears my flushing of the fuel system has worked. After cleaning the injectors one last time the engine has fired up perfectly the past couple days. Which of course has led me to my next issue to tackle:
After cleaning the bilge I noticed I had an oil leak especially at any speed past idle. After some deep cleaning and investigation I caught it dripping from between the transmission and engine at the starboard side. This picture is from the front looking towards the stern. It's a pretty steady leak, not something I can ignore unfortunately. Caught it dripping right by that bolt over the oil puddle.
View attachment 35846

Would I be correct to assume this is the rear main seal? Has anyone had any luck with any quick fixes for this and/or know what the process would be like to tackle this job.

In case this is your first inboard engine oil leak, you may want to know that a little warm oil goes a long way before you react. I ran an old Pleasure Craft engine for 10+ years with a rear main bearing seal leak. I never had to add oil between oil changes, but I did occasionally worked extra hard to clean the bilge. While you are exploring the capabilities of the boat and identifying repairs, you may want to add “fix oil leak” to your list but continue checking out the boat.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
In case this is your first inboard engine oil leak, you may want to know that a little warm oil goes a long way before you react. I ran an old Pleasure Craft engine for 10+ years with a rear main bearing seal leak. I never had to add oil between oil changes, but I did occasionally worked extra hard to clean the bilge. While you are exploring the capabilities of the boat and identifying repairs, you may want to add “fix oil leak” to your list but continue checking out the boat.
Funny enough, I just got the same advice from my father. We restored a 1968 mustang together. When we got it, it leaked from the rear main. Running it a bit more regularly and a few oil changes resolved the leak.

Being that the engine has been sitting 15 years, I'd say one oil leak isn't too bad. I'm going to add some AT-205 to the oil at some point, keep it topped off, and try to run it as much as I can before winterizing. Hopefully it will only improve.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
I added Bar's Rear Main Seal stop leak to it this morning. Tried to run it again. At certain points it was a steady stream of oil. Almost seems worse than yesterday. I'm not sure any additive or regular running is going to be able to fix what I saw today. Not sure if it's truly worse or I'm imagining it but I never saw a steady stream of oil like I did today.

crhodes

Supporting Captain
Aug 26, 2003
Southport, NC
Looking at the upper left hand corner, is the ring-gear oily too? Your oil pan appears close to the hull (where water could get onto it) and am questioning if you have a oil pan or oil drain hose fitting leak instead.

Latest posts