BIG 1996 Shamrock 220 WA Project

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by boataddict, Aug 17, 2021.

1. boataddict

boataddict Well-Known Member

Yes, thankfully I am getting about 12 Volts to the injectors, so I do believe they are clogged from sitting. I purchased a TBI seal kit for $25, hopefully I can clean it out this weekend and try again.

2. boataddict

Well, I rebuilt the entire TBI, was really confident in it. But I'm back to the same place I was weeks ago for some reason. I'm getting no gas at all from the tank now, I don't know why. Very frustrated. I have now got 2 new pumps which I swore were working, and now I don't have any fuel again. This is making me second guess everything I've done. Any thoughts?

3. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Sorry for all the trouble you are having but I am very certain you will get to the bottom of the issue. When finished You will also rightfully come away with a lot of pride with the completed project. Good luck your beautiful boat will give you many happy times.

boataddict likes this.
  4. boataddict

Thank you very much. It appears the new first fuel pump I put in is not siphoning fuel so I'm going to put the old one back in tomorrow and see what happens.

5. boataddict

She runs!!!

Replaced the first fuel pump this morning, sure enough got great fuel pressure. Guess it was the fault of the second pump all along.

Turned the key and she started like a dream! You would never know it hadn't started in 15 years. Going to check the oil later and make sure there's no water in it, as long as that's fine I believe I've got a good running engine.

Honestly in complete shock.

6. fluke37

fluke37 Well-Known Member

Nice,,

7. jacksonsullivan

jacksonsullivan Active Member

Awesome! I just logged in and binge read this thread. I have the same boat and same year. Im concerned about your transmission. Those hulls are so shallow just under that gear that any water in the bilge over time will rust the shaft and wear out the seal. The day it slips when you give it the gas is the day the gear is toast. Just keep that bilge dry. Make sure the aft bilge pump is working as well as the forward and if you launch off trailer then keep the transom scuppers plugged at launch. Nice work!!

8. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Great to hear you have her up and running. Hopefully you will get out and enjoy the fruit of your labor. Some of our best fishing opens up October 8th.

9. boataddict

Thank you all for the kind words. Today I started her up again. She was running much rougher than yesterday, but I'm still thrilled she runs at all.

Initially I was getting nothing out of either injector, but with some persuasion started to get a spray out of the starboard injector. The port injector never sprayed.

I suspect running it for the first time yesterday in ages led to it sucking up some gunk still built up in the lines. I plan to replace all the fuel lines before next season, and maybe add an additional in-line fuel filter. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

10. Bach Wilson

Bach Wilson Well-Known Member

I would install a filter now before you do any further running.

boataddict likes this.