BIG 1996 Shamrock 220 WA Project

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by boataddict, Aug 17, 2021.

1. boataddict

boataddict Well-Known Member

This past weekend I started by setting up a temporary fuel pump to drain the old gas from both tanks. The port tank was nearly empty, while the starboard tank had roughly 20 gallons, so I ended up draining about 25 gallons in total. The gas was obviously very old but there was not a lot of sediment in it (although I was running a small filter before the pump) which I see as a good sign. With this cheap fuel pump hooked up to a new battery I was able to drain the tanks to dry in less than 2 hours.

PXL_20210829_161657348.jpg

Next, I cleaned up the manifolds and risers, painted them while I had them off, and reinstalled the manifolds with new gaskets. I also drained the oil, although I still have to change the filter and refill it with fresh oil. I am looking forward to next weekend, as I will be finishing reassembly with the risers and new spark plugs. I also have to install the new belt and water impeller.

Does anyone know the proper way to reinstall the belt on one of these? I can't find a lot of information on the appropriate procedure for this engine, and I'm not sure how to adjust the tension to slip it on and retighten it.

After that I hope to crank the ignition and see what I get. Will be interesting to see how everything is working in terms of spark and the TBI. My main worry right now is that the TBI system will have fried electronics, but I have no indication to believe that is true- as even the trailer lights, exposed to the elements all this time, still work.

Kind of a short update, but she's coming along nicely, very excited to slip that key in and see what happens.

2. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

You're making nifty progress. Make sure all of your wiring contacts to the injectors are clean and secure, and all of the ground wires are clean too. She'll run.

You have to remove (or not replace yet) the raw water pump bracket to get the belt inside of it. It's a simple around the pulleys path. The belt tension adjustment is on the alternator mounting bracket.

boataddict likes this.
  3. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Do you have a vacuum gauge? Hook one up when you test fire it up and see what it reads.

boataddict likes this.
  4. boataddict

Today is the day! New plugs are in, new impeller, risers back on with new gasket, and new belt. The fuel pump and water-fuel separator was reinstalled after being removed by the previous owner for "humming". I do have a replacement but this one is definitely working for now. After tracking down some electrical problems yesterday I managed to get both fans blowing, and the fuel pump kicks on when clicking the ignition. The source of my electrical woes seems to be the circuit breaker board, some of them just don't work anymore. I am going to replace all of them in the near future to prevent more issues and get the remaining pumps and such working.
    PXL_20210903_184312918.jpg

My fiancee also cleaned out the cabin for me last night, so things are really coming together
    PXL_20210904_231451705.jpg

So, hopefully later today I'll have an update on the motor, going to hook it up to the hose and give it a go.

redneck likes this.
  5. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Good luck! Great progress so far, you will have yourself a great boat when done!

6. boataddict

Well, that was a bit anticlimactic. Seems like the starter is shot. Turning the ignition just yields a slight click. Tried to whack the starter motor a couple times but no luck. Battery is fully charged. From what I can gather this is expected for a motor that has been sitting as long as this has.

Unfortunately it seems like I'll have to take off the riser and manifold again on that side to get to it, but live and learn. Going to try to get a new one ordered this weekend so I can do that next weekend and try again.

7. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Before you go thru all that work, jump power past the starting solenoid to the starter.

8. boataddict

I just checked and the solenoid is only passing 1.7 volts when I turn the ignition. Obviously way too low to turn that starter, so it very well could just be a solenoid issue. However, it is just as difficult to get to, so I'm probably just going to replace both if I'm going through all this work.

9. Bach Wilson

Bach Wilson Well-Known Member

I will definitely do some further troubleshooting before you just yank it. It could just be bad connections. Make sure everything is clean. I would jump directly across that solenoid and see what happens.

10. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

solenoid cant put out more than what is put into it. If you only put 1.7 volts in all you can get out is 1.7. So start checking.
    BTW replacing the solenoid is 1/10 the cost of the starter motor, if it aint broken dont fix it.