BIG 1996 Shamrock 220 WA Project

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
I think now is as good of a time as any to do a before and after.

Here she is on her first day moving in 15 years:
PXL_20210813_145441413.jpg

Complete with its own ecosystem on the deck:
PXL_20210806_193613186.jpg

Here she sits today a bit less than a year later:
PXL_20220521_205611602.MP.jpg

Thank you everyone on this website for your continued guidance and advice. You all were were in my corner the whole way and I really appreciate it.

Familyrig

Feb 4, 2020
Lodi CA
Boat looks amazing & you have done such a good job bringing her back to life! As my wife will confirm I have issues with watching a boat rot away that has good bones. I have bought & sold quite a few boats over the years never making a dime but feeling good knowing I put them back in use the way they should be. There is something very satisfying to it.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Well, after refurbishing and cleaning out the tank, it was running good for about 10 minutes. Then I thought I felt something odd like vibration, but it smoothed out.

I started to then feel the transmission slipping a little while later. Sure enough I opened the hatch to see my worst nightmare - flammable transmission fluid sprayed everywhere. Transmission looked dry. Shut it down. Poured half a quart I had left in it and limped it home (only about 5 minutes).
PXL_20220709_174314317.jpg

As you can see, one of the plugs on the control module on top of the transmission went missing. Now I'm pretty sure I screwed both of those plugs back in there, and I can't find that missing plug in the mess of transmission fluid in the bilge yet. Can't tell if something went wrong with the transmission and it was blown out by high pressure, or if it's a simple case of the plugs somehow coming loose.

Any ideas?
I'm getting close to giving up on this. I get more nervous each time I take it out. I just wonder if I will ever get comfortable enough to move forward with it and use it with how these majors issues keep cropping up.

Ship

Supporting Captain
Dec 15, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ area
I won't freak out yet. I consider this issue a normal maintenance item. Things vibrate out after an overhaul. Standard operating procedure is tighten everything after a couple hours. I have forgotten more times than I like to admit, to tighten bolts, nuts and lock nuts and you name it. You need to just keep going a little further away from home base until you work the bugs out. You're nearly there.

crhodes

Supporting Captain
Aug 26, 2003
Southport, NC
That is why they call it a "shakedown cruise". Would be surprised if it were anything major. If it blew out threads it likely was loose to begin with. That plug is under the motor somewhere assuming it came out during a run. Examine the threads on the fitting to see if they look sheared.

Also, you can probably find a manual online for the gear and get better specs on the plug thread size/type, etc.

Last edited:

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Thanks guys. It was the plug for the test port on the control block of the transmission. Dabbed a tiny bit of thread locker on and threw it back in. It was probably just loose.

Boat ran fine after filling it back up.

Ordering a couple new gauges so I can really see how it's running. Want to be sure it's not running hot. I've checked and cleaned all the connections but still can't get a few of them working. I think the gauges are just toast after sitting all that time.

Latest posts