I replaced the fluid in it when I started to run the boat with type F automatic transmission fluid. It's very thin stuff. Is it possible that the fluid is so thin it's still pouring out? I don't know what else it could possibly be
I didn't see any groove in the shaft. As far as pressurizing it, I'm not sure. I know the transmission isn't supposed to be under any sort of pressure, which is why it's got the pressure release valve, but that's definitely crossed my mind.
Maybe the outer seal didn't seat properly? I just don't know. I've spent so much time pulling out and putting in this transmission over and over that I'm hesitant to jump into pulling it right back out again.
After consulting a neighbor, I pulled the trans, cleaned up the shaft and mating surfaces even better, and tried again. So far so good. Ran it for 10 minutes, let it sit for an hour and the bilge is still clean. I don't trust this thing, so I'm hesitant to say it's fixed, so make of that what you will.
The bilge is the cleanest it’s been since I started to run the boat last year. Thrilled with it. Now I’m moving on to doing all the little things to prepare for launch. Started today by installing a new depth finder. While I was running the transducer wire I pulled the middle floor panel out and replaced the front bilge pump hose.
I moved on to replace the shaft and rudder packings. Purchase dripless goretex seals. Soaked them in penetrating oil but haven’t had any luck so far in getting them to budge. I’m open to any suggestions. Access for the rudder is tough, can only get a 14” pipe wrench into the access spot, and that’s not giving me enough leverage to break it free. Hopefully letting that penetrating oil sit for a while will do the trick. Afraid to use heat in this instance, don’t want a fire.
Other bits on the list are getting the temperature and oil pressure gauges working again. I suspect the sensors have gone bad. Also have to find out why the bilge pump float switches aren’t working. And finally painting the bottom, then I should be close to a dip.
I had several opportunities this week to get some work in on the boat.
First I replaced the rudder and driveshaft packing. Was able to get a 2 foot pipe wrench onto the nuts and break them loose. Put in the goretex dripless seals.
Next I started it up and realized I had no shifting pressure from the trans whatsoever. So I was able to eventually figure out that I had accidentally reversed the pump direction when I replaced the input seal. So I had to remove it, flip it, and reinstall and sure enough I’m back in business.
I also had time to paint the bottom. It’s looking like a real boat now. Replaced the fuel pump as well for good measure. I also replaced the oil pressure sender, so now that works.
The coolant temperature is really stuck on. Don’t want to break it. I had a 2 foot breaker on it and some blaster but it didn’t budge. Not sure how I’m going to get it off but I really want that gauge working.
Power washed the hull, wetsanded the topsides that I hadn't polished yet, and gave it a coat of Klasse sealant on the hull that I had already polished. Next weekend I'll buff the topsides and wax the whole thing. Pretty happy with how it's looking, getting very close to launch day. Maybe next Sunday if I can finish the little tasks I have left.
Today was not without its troubles but I got to drive her around today after almost a year of work. Had a bit of a fuel issue which I remedied by the end of the day- turned out to be no more than an unprimed fuel filter.
Drove around at slow speeds for quite some time and enjoyed myself.
However, as always she had to have some sort of issue before I got back. Would not accelerate past 2000 rpms in gear. Transmission slipped abruptly at that point. Drove fine otherwise at slow speeds.
Got back to the dock and checked the trans fluid level and found it to be below the minimum level, just barely touching the dipstick. Put about a half quart of fluid in to take it to the top marker. It wasn't leaking, I just forgot to top it off after my last repair.
I'll try again tomorrow. Boy would it be awesome if that does the trick. Really hope it doesn't need a transmission after all this work.