BIG 1996 Shamrock 220 WA Project

redneck

Mar 2, 2009
Palm Bay FL
You will have to get it high enough to get passed the oil pump pickup. There might be a aluminum pan available. Fel Pro makes a one pie oil pan gasket.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
You will have to get it high enough to get passed the oil pump pickup. There might be a aluminum pan available. Fel Pro makes a one pie oil pan gasket.
Yes I ordered a standard steel pan, aluminum was crazy expensive. And I got the one piece fel pro. I think/hope I'll be able to get it high enough

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
I was able to swap the pans, but I couldn't replace the seal, so I was stuck using the old one which was stuck to the motor in combination with gasket maker on the new pan. I really hope it holds.

While I had it lifted up from the rear, transmission fluid leaked slowly. I can't tell if I've got a new leak on my hands (kill me now), or it was just a product of the very extreme angle I had it at. I guess time will tell.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
So far so good, no new fluids in the bilge today.
I replaced all the circuit breakers, which seems to have remedied most of, if not all of, the electrical gremlins I was dealing with
Next week I'm going to try to get around to starting it up again and see where I stand with everything.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Silly me, last weekend went to start it but realized I had burned the battery out already from pumping out the bilge over a couple weeks. So I wasn't able to start it last week, but hopefully this weekend.

I cleaned it up and buffed the hull with Meguiar's One Step Marine Compound. Unfortunately I still have large splotchy, almost gummed up looking portions of the hull that I can't seem to figure out.

I did initially do some light wetsanding by hand last year when I first started to buff it, but I am thinking I need to go over the whole hull with 1000 grit on a DA, and then rebuff it unfortunately. I'll try to post some pics over the weekend.

Throwback

Jan 18, 2020
Westville NJ
You could try washing the hull with bleach and water before you start compounding and waxing.You need to get all the wax and crap off before starting.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
It started right up thankfully, sounded great too. Didn't seem to have any leaks either.

After shutting it down, noticed a couple small spots of transmission fluid in the bilge water, left it and came back a couple hours later and there was a bunch more transmission fluid in the water. It's pink, very confident it's transmission fluid.

I'm at my wit's end with this thing. Can't figure out where the leak is coming from.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Brief update to keep this main thread coherent. I cleaned the bilge and discovered the ATF leak came from the bellhousing.

Pulled the trans and confirmed the leak came from the transmission input shaft area. Ordered a seal kit, so I hope to attack that next weekend.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
Replaced the seals around the input shaft. Wasn't difficult in the slightest once the trans was out.

At this point I'm so nervous every time I run this boat, waiting for the next thing to go wrong. That said, I'm starting to feel like it's getting close. Here's hoping.

boataddict

May 19, 2020
Point Pleasant, NJ
It looked like I had fixed it. Ran for about 10 minutes. Sure enough it started dripping trans fluid again from that same area under the bell housing. I'm so pissed. I don't know what else it could be.

Latest posts